10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2012 12:05 AM by Chris999 RSS

Can't connect Forms 6i to Oracle 11g on Windows Server 2008 SE

user626836
      Hi everyone,
      I have Oracle 10g working pretty well with Forms 6i, but now I have installed Oracle 11g on another server and I'm trying to connect Forms 6i to my other Oracle 11g server, but Forms 6i never gets connected. Is there any trick to make it work? I have check the upper cases and other things related with lower and upper case passwords, but nothinh happens.
      Can anyone please help me?
        • 1. Re: Can't connect Forms 6i to Oracle 11g on Windows Server 2008 SE
          mseberg
          Hello;

Its probably the Oracle client that installs with Forms 6. Try connecting to the database using SQL Plus from a Forms workstation. If it fails I would install a newer client and switch the Oracle Home on all the workstations.
          ( Provided it tests out )

I would probably try using the Net Configurations Assistant in your Oracle Start Menu group with all combinations I could think of before I added a second client to the mix.

Of minor interest :

http://www.dbaportal.eu/?q=node/167

The Windows version might put the hurt on you. This may or may not help that :

http://www.araboug.org/ib/index.php?showtopic=49679

Tough combination.

Best Regards

mseberg

Edited by: mseberg on Jun 20, 2012 3:51 PM

Later

Legacy Applications and Oracle 11g

http://jarneil.wordpress.com/2008/03/26/legacy-applications-and-oracle-11g/

So I'm sorry to say you are out of options. I also checked the Forms Forum and the few posts there on Forms 6 ( Obsolete in 2004 ) all agree. Forms 6 and Oracle 11 database do not play together.

I hope at least I saved you some time.

mseberg

Edited by: mseberg on Jun 20, 2012 4:36 PM

Upgrading Oracle Forms 6i to Oracle Forms 11g

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17904_01/doc.1111/e10394.pdf
          • 2. Re: Can't connect Forms 6i to Oracle 11g on Windows Server 2008 SE
            user626836
            Hi mseberg and thanks for answering,
            I have already try the Net Configuration Assistant but when I test the connection it says connecting for more than 2 hours and never finish.
            • 3. Re: Can't connect Forms 6i to Oracle 11g on Windows Server 2008 SE
              sb92075
              We were using Forms6 to access V7.3.4.5 DB more than 15 years ago.
              So you should be thankful that Forms worked with V10 Oracle database.
              Please consider joining the 21 ^st^ Century at your earliest convenience.
              • 4. Re: Can't connect Forms 6i to Oracle 11g on Windows Server 2008 SE
                Prabodh
                Hi,

Forms 6i works with 11g. However, you need latest (albeit 20th century) patches for Forms 6i.
                What is your exact version of Forms 6i?
                Forms 6.0.8.27.0 works for sure, I have used this version as an interim solution while migrating from Forms 6i to 11g.

Regards,
                • 5. Re: Can't connect Forms 6i to Oracle 11g on Windows Server 2008 SE
                  user626836
                  Hi Prabodh and thanks for replying,
                  I have the latest patch which is number 18. Can you please provide some help to follow so I can make the connection, or is there something else that I need to do on Windows 2008 Server?
                  • 6. Re: Can't connect Forms 6i to Oracle 11g on Windows Server 2008 SE
                    user626836
                    Hi again,
                    If I change the set of characters using the following commands, am I going to be able to connect 6i with 11g?
                    C:\>sqlplus /nolog
                    SQL> connect / as sysdba
                    Conectado.
                    SQL> shutdown immediate
                    SQL> startup restrict
                    SQL> alter database character set internal_use UTF8;
                    SQL> shutdown immediate
                    SQL> startup
                    • 7. Re: Can't connect Forms 6i to Oracle 11g on Windows Server 2008 SE
                      Prabodh
                      As you have already guessed, the key issue is the DB character set. E.g. Forms 6i does not support AL32UTF8.

Changing the character set of an existing database can be a daunting task. Its easier if one can recreate the DB with the required character set. See http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B10500_01/server.920/a96529/ch10.htm

Regards,
                      • 8. Re: Can't connect Forms 6i to Oracle 11g on Windows Server 2008 SE
                        user626836
                        Hi Prabodh,
                        So these steps as they mention on the article that you sent me are the correct to change the character set?
                        To change the database character set, perform the following steps:

Shut down the database, using either a SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE or a SHUTDOWN NORMAL statement.
                        Do a full backup of the database because the ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET statement cannot be rolled back.
                        Complete the following statements:
                        STARTUP MOUNT;
                        ALTER SYSTEM ENABLE RESTRICTED SESSION;
                        ALTER SYSTEM SET JOB_QUEUE_PROCESSES=0;
                        ALTER SYSTEM SET AQ_TM_PROCESSES=0;
                        ALTER DATABASE OPEN;
                        ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET new_character_set;
                        SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE; -- or SHUTDOWN NORMAL; 
                        STARTUP;
                        So the character set that I should use is UTF8 as I mentioned before in the command ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET?
                        • 9. Re: Can't connect Forms 6i to Oracle 11g on Windows Server 2008 SE
                          Sarah
                          hi

what i understand from you.so you cannot use forms 6i with oracle database 11g because its not supportable.
                          do not know if there is any patch available for this but plz contact the oracle support site.

sarah
                          • 10. Re: Can't connect Forms 6i to Oracle 11g on Windows Server 2008 SE
                            Chris999
                            Be careful with the naysayers out there. Forms/Reports 6i client/server (6.0.8.27+) connects just fine to 10.2, 11.1, and 11.2 database so as long as they are not AL32UTF8 character sets. Forms/Reports 6i client/server also works just fine running on a 32bit or 64bit OS while connecting to a 32bit or 64bit Database.
                            These are the things you have to be careful of:
                            1) cannot use AL32UTF8 character set, use the default OS character set instead
                            2) be sure to set the password rules to "legacy", that way forms and reports can work together.

It is not "Supported", but it works just fine.