This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2012 8:04 AM by 900227 RSS

Add Custome Theme to WebLogic

900227 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi everybody,

The company I work for has createe their own APEX theme and we have been using it for a while. The company has just released the new Enterprise Environments using APEX Listerner + WebLogic Server 10.3.4.0

When trying to migrate to the new environment I get access to the i.war file, I added my theme file into the i.war to keep them as /i/themename/. The theme is referencing css files as /i/themename/css/test.css ans similar for images and javascriptfiles.

I went to the WLS Admin Console, deleted the previous i.war and installed the modified i.war file. Activated the changes and went to my APEX application.

All APEX files in the /i/ folder are loading and working fine with the exception of my custome theme files.

I am missing something? I did as APEX Listener installation guides says, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...

Should I restart WLS?

Any helo is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
  • 1. Re: Add Custome Theme to WebLogic
    Udo Guru
    Hi,
    When trying to migrate to the new environment I get access to the i.war file, I added my theme file into the i.war to keep them as /i/themename/. The theme is referencing css files as /i/themename/css/test.css ans similar for images and javascriptfiles.
    Just for curiosity, why did you choose +/i/themename+ instead of placing the content into the themes directory along with the other (original) APEX themes, which would be +/i/themes/themename+ ?
    I went to the WLS Admin Console, deleted the previous i.war and installed the modified i.war file. Activated the changes and went to my APEX application.
    All APEX files in the /i/ folder are loading and working fine with the exception of my custome theme files.
    Are you sure you've actually deployed the modified file? And are you sure you didn't add +/i/themename+ to your war, but just +/themename+ ? Because the +/i/+ is already included in the context you get from deploying it to your WLS.
    Should I restart WLS?
    This shouldn't be necessary for a simple deployment.

Note that there is another way to make static contents (like APEX images) available on WLS: Use a virtual-directory-mapping. There is a nice [url http://krisrice.blogspot.de/2011/07/apex-listener-wls-serving-static-files.html]video tutorial by Kris you adapt to your scenario.

-Udo
  • 2. Re: Add Custome Theme to WebLogic
    900227 Newbie
    Hi Udo,

Thanks for your replay! Sorry for answering until know but I have to work in another project with higher priority, but now I'm back!

Answering your questions:

- I placed the theme there because of it was that way before I started working with it and to avoid modifying every reference inside the theme.

- Yes, I'm sure that I deployed the correct i.war file. I am making reference to the "/i/" path just to use the complete path. I just added a folder called "themename" into the i.war file. This folfer has inside the corresponding images, CSS and Javascript files.

I really appreciate the information you shared with me about the directoy-mapping, however the Architects has decided that the only way to update the i.war file is by making a deployment.

My next try will be to place the "themename" folder inside the "/themes/" path where it belongs and to modify the references inside the custome theme. I will let you know how it works. In the meanwhile if you have any other suggestion they are all welcome!
  • 3. Re: Add Custome Theme to WebLogic
    Udo Guru
    Hi,
    Thanks for your replay! Sorry for answering until know but I have to work in another project with higher priority, but now I'm back!
    Take your time. We all have other things to do sometimes. ;)
    I just added a folder called "themename" into the i.war file.
    How did you do that (exactly)?

-Udo
  • 4. Re: Add Custome Theme to WebLogic
    900227 Newbie
    Well....

1) I download the i.war from the Web Logic server and stored it in my PC.

2) Then I opened it using WinRAR and added my theme folder into the i.war.

3) I went again to the WLS and uploaded the new i.war file.

4) Then I go to the WLS Admin Consol and remove the previous i.war.

5) I clicked on the "Lock and Edit" button.

6) In the server move the i.war to its corresponding path using unix commands.

7) And finally I did the process to deploy a new applicattion in the WLS just as the APEX Listener documentation says including the clic on "Activate Changes" button.

What do you think? Did I miss something?
  • 5. Re: Add Custome Theme to WebLogic
    Udo Guru
    2) Then I opened it using WinRAR and added my theme folder into the i.war.
    If you added just the theme folder and actually hit the root of the i.war (not some subdirectory in there you might have hit when using drag&drop by mistake), this should have worked.
    3) I went again to the WLS and uploaded the new i.war file.
    4) Then I go to the WLS Admin Consol and remove the previous i.war.
    When did you actually redeploy?
    I'm not that familiar with WLS, but it seems you don't run on automatic deployment.
    6) In the server move the i.war to its corresponding path using unix commands.
    What do you mean with that? How does this correspond to what you've done in 3)?
    7) And finally I did the process to deploy a new applicattion in the WLS just as the APEX Listener documentation says including the clic on "Activate Changes" button.
    ... continuing my questioning on that topic: Did this deployment overwrite the existing deployment?

-Udo
  • 6. Re: Add Custome Theme to WebLogic
    900227 Newbie
    Hi Udo,

If you added just the theme folder and actually hit the root of the i.war (not some subdirectory in there you might have hit when using drag&drop by mistake), this should have worked.
    I double checked the path and after your first post asking for the path I checked again... It is on the root of the i.war file.

Talking about steps 3 and 4. You're right we do not have an automated deployment procedure... I went to the WL Administration Console and deleted the current i.war file.

For step 6, I upload my new i.war file (worked on my local machine) to the server via ftp and move it to the WebLogic path designated to keep war files. I am not usre if this folder is a WLS requirement or if it's just a way to structure the files that the admins implemented. The file must be in that folder.

Talking about point #7... The previous i.war deployment was deleted and I redeploy the i.war file like if it was the first time.

I'm still trying to figure out what is wrong...

Thanks for your help on this!
  • 7. Re: Add Custome Theme to WebLogic
    900227 Newbie
    Hi everyone,

I finally get my theme deployed on the WebLogic Server.

What I did was to move my theme to its corresponding path "\i\themes\".

Then I entered the WebLogic administration console and for the very first time I noticed that I was deploying just to a part of the cluster instead of deploying to the full cluster. I just chose to deploy to the Full Cluster and everything start working fine.

Thanks!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points