3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2012 5:12 PM by EdStevens RSS

Connection error

HI,

I am new to databases.

I recently downloaded the SQL Developer (with JDK) on my 64-bit office laptop running Windows 7 OS.

While the connection succeeds in my office, it fails when I connect to it from home or anywhere else other than office network.

This is the error I receive when I connect to the database:
      Status : Failure -Test failed: IO Error: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection

I was told this is a firewall issue and I tried to update the etc/hosts file by adding the hostname. However, it does not resolve the issue.

Could you please help?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Connection error
          sb92075
          user4057984 wrote:
          HI,

I am new to databases.

I recently downloaded the SQL Developer (with JDK) on my 64-bit office laptop running Windows 7 OS.

While the connection succeeds in my office, it fails when I connect to it from home or anywhere else other than office network.

Status : Failure -Test failed: IO Error: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection

I was told this is a firewall issue and I tried to update the etc/hosts file by adding the hostname. However, it does not resolve the issue.

Could you please help?

Thanks!
          what is hostname & IP# where DB resides?
          what is hostname & IP# where SQL Developer resides?
          • 2. Re: Connection error
            Solomon Yakobson
            If it is firewall, it is firewall at your office. Check with your company what (if any) access it allows from outside. It might be VPN, SSL, ...

SY.
            • 3. Re: Connection error
              EdStevens
              user4057984 wrote:
              HI,

I am new to databases.

Networking 101: the hosts file has nothing to do with any firewalls. It's sole function is to provide a translation from a name to an IP address.

As Solomen said, the firewall is at your company. And if they let you in WITHOUT establishing a vpn connection, then they have VERY SERIOIUS security issues.
              Could you please help?

Thanks!