2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2012 5:14 PM by Christian.Shay -Oracle RSS

Connection to Oracle database via VS Server Explorer crashes Visual Studio

Connection to Oracle database via VS Server Explorer crashes Visual Studio_+

I am trying to create an ADO.Net entity Data Model of an existing oracle 11g database, however I cannot even get past the step of Database Connection.

Every time I attempt to test the connection Visual Studio closes without any details as to the error

I am using following:

Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate

*.NET 4.0.3*

Oracle 11g client

ODAC 11.2.0.3

Windows 7

This what I got from Event viewer of windows:

Faulting application name: devenv.exe, version: 10.0.40219.1, time stamp: 0x4d5f2a73

Faulting module name: oran11.dll, version: 11.2.0.1, time stamp: 0x4bb34692

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0028deee

Faulting process id: 0x2020

Faulting application start time: 0x01cd5f6aa0a48f4f

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe

Faulting module path: C:\app\User\product\11.2.0\client_2\bin\oran11.dll

Report Id: c2394ba8-cb5e-11e1-8347-005056c00008

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Edited by: 904359 on Jul 11, 2012 7:07 AM
        • 1. Re: Connection to Oracle database via VS Server Explorer crashes Visual Studio
          gdarling - oracle
          Hi,

I've seen that happen when you install 11203 ODAC on top of an 11201 full client home, is that what you did? I assume there are mismatched dependencies getting loaded which cause the crash, but didn't spend much time looking into the root cause.

Assuming that's the case, just removing the software and "starting over" should fix that. If you need the 11201 full client home for whatever reason, then just install ODAC into a new home. Otherwise, just install ODAC (it come's with its own client).

Hope it helps,
          Greg
          • 2. Re: Connection to Oracle database via VS Server Explorer crashes Visual Studio
            Christian.Shay -Oracle
            gdarling wrote:
            Hi,

I've seen that happen when you install 11203 ODAC on top of an 11201 full client home, is that what you did? I assume there are mismatched dependencies getting loaded which cause the crash, but didn't spend much time looking into the root cause.

Assuming that's the case, just removing the software and "starting over" should fix that. If you need the 11201 full client home for whatever reason, then just install ODAC into a new home. Otherwise, just install ODAC (it come's with its own client).

Hope it helps,
            Greg
            Correct, Greg.

The specific problem is that the old OCI.DLL is locked when the install takes place and this is not handled properly and so the DLLs are out of synch. Installing into a new Oracle home will fix this.