This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2012 4:20 AM by ysri RSS

Can the ODT be installed on a thick Oracle 11g client?

441662 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have Oracle 11g R2 (11.2.0.1) thick client installed as client_1. I want to use the latest ODT which includes the Entity Famework / LINQ support. Yet, I have legacy software which connects to oracle as well. This legacy software does not seem to work with instant client, but works fine with the thick client.

ODT (11.2.0.3) with EF/LINQ support appears to include an Instant Client.

So, would it work if I install ODT over my client_1 install but did not install the instant client?

Or would I need to get the 11.2.0.3 version of the thick client? Would this 11.2.0.3 version of the thick client include the ODF with EF/LINQ support?
  • 1. Re: Can the ODT be installed on a thick Oracle 11g client?
    gdarling - oracle Expert
    You should install ODAC into a separate home rather than over the top of an existing home.

Installing ODP.NET generally installs Publisher Policy files in the GAC, so you'll want to remove those if you have existing apps that use an earlier ODP version.
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/faq-093106.html#policy

Also, installing a new home makes it the default home, so you may need to switch back and make the old home the default home depending upon what drivers the old apps use.

11203 full client does include EF support, but you'll want to apply at least Patch 5 to get fixes that bring it up to the patch level of the ODAC release.

Hope it helps,
    Greg
  • 2. Re: Can the ODT be installed on a thick Oracle 11g client?
    ysri Newbie
    Does full client install ODP.NET 4.x too?
    I have a default oracle home1 installed by the IT team and many applications depend on that.
    When i install ODAC it installs ODP.NET along with Instant Client and makes this as the default home directory2.
    Even if i switch the default to home1, my .net windows form application still attempts to read Instant client tnsnames instead from home1

I want to have one full oracle client with ODP.NET, no multiple oracle homes. How?

Thanks,
    -srinivas
  • 3. Re: Can the ODT be installed on a thick Oracle 11g client?
    Christian.Shay - Oracle Pro
    ysri wrote:
    Does full client install ODP.NET 4.x too?
    I have a default oracle home1 installed by the IT team and many applications depend on that.
    When i install ODAC it installs ODP.NET along with Instant Client and makes this as the default home directory2.
    Even if i switch the default to home1, my .net windows form application still attempts to read Instant client tnsnames instead from home1

I want to have one full oracle client with ODP.NET, no multiple oracle homes. How?

Thanks,
    -srinivas
    If your apps require multiple versions of ODP.NET then you will need multiple Oracle homes. Use the TNS_ADMIN environment variable to causes all applications to look at a specific TNSNAMES.ORA

ODP.NET uses policy dlls to cause older apps to try to use the newer ODP.NET. If you do not want this, delete the policy DLLs from the GAC.

The XCOPY install give you the most control as you can install ODP.NET with your app.

The upcoming fully managed ODP.NET beta (keep an eye on the .NET OTN page for more info) will make your life a lot easier.
  • 4. Re: Can the ODT be installed on a thick Oracle 11g client?
    ysri Newbie
    thanks cshay,
    i spent many hours today with Oracle DBA around this and the results were inconsistent and it seemed a lot of work.
    I have to do the same on all developer computers so i am tending towards having single full oracle client with odp.net 4.x
    There are no other .net framework tools that will need 2.x at this point.

I just installed full oracle client of Administrator type install on my personal laptop, i can see ODP.NET/bin/2.x folder but not 4.x
    Why wouldn't the latest full client install the odp.net 4.x?

Thanks,
    -sri
  • 5. Re: Can the ODT be installed on a thick Oracle 11g client?
    When you do the install, watch the installation choices carefully:

In some versions there are two installs, one for .NET 2.0 and one for .NET 4.0

And if you only installed ODT on a machine with only an old version of VS (like 2008) it may default to .NET 2.0 only.
  • 6. Re: Can the ODT be installed on a thick Oracle 11g client?
    ysri Newbie
    I have Visual Studio 2008 to support older tools but they don't use ODP.NET
    And i have Visual Studio 2010 Express

I just checked this post:
    Oracle Full Client 64 Bits with ODP .Net 4

And
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/index.html
    has note on latest patched version of full client 11.2.0.3 from https://support.oracle.com is supposed to contain ODP.NET 4.x too
    The one available on OTN is 11.2.0.1

I requested our Oracle DBA to find and get the latest from Oracle Support

Thanks,
    -srinivas
  • 7. Re: Can the ODT be installed on a thick Oracle 11g client?
    11.2.0.3 is available on OTN.

Note that VS 2010 express does not support add-ins (including Oracle Developer Tools). So what likely happened is you selected Oracle Developer Tools to install, and then it only installed it for VS2008 which only supports .NET 2.0.

Try installing Oracle Data Provider for .NET 4.0 all by itself (with Oracle Developer Tools unchecked). You won't be able to use VS 2010 express wizard/designer features, but your code should work.
  • 8. Re: Can the ODT be installed on a thick Oracle 11g client?
    ysri Newbie
    I uninstalled all existing oracle installations on my computer, rebooted, then renamed/deleted base oracle home directories that were left.

I then did a full install of 11.2.0.3 (Administrative Type Client installation)
    I could then see C:\app\<userid>\product\11.2.0\client_1\ODP.NET\bin\4 and I referenced the Oracle.Data.Access.dll in this folder from my Visual C# 2010 Express solution
    and it worked !

Thanks

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points