This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2012 7:21 AM by 979526 RSS

CGContextGetCTM: invalid context 0x0 errors on OSX

942173 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
It would appear that the latest version of Java (as supplied by Apple Update) and/or the latest version of OSX do not get along as well as they should. If you search for one of the error messages below you will see a lot of people are getting these error messages (usually in some console output window or script) but I'm not sure if Oracle / Apple are aware of the problem and indeed if it's Java or OSX update related. Apparently the latest Java 7 from Oracle does not correct the error.

<Error>: CGContextGetCTM: invalid context 0x0
<Error>: CGContextSetBaseCTM: invalid context 0x0
<Error>: CGContextGetCTM: invalid context 0x0
<Error>: CGContextSetBaseCTM: invalid context 0x0

As far as I can tell it's not actually preventing anything from working. I get the output below in my Eclipse IDE console output window along with all my other logger output.

Where would I need to look to see if there is a proper bug report registered and if there is a patch/update pending.

Took me ages just to get an account working on this website - the Oracle user logon process seems very unreliable and unpredictable.
  • 1. Re: CGContextGetCTM: invalid context 0x0 errors on OSX
    950848 Newbie
    I have been receiving these errors too when running certain java class files through Terminal. I am using java 7 update 5 for Mac OSX.

This shows some other people with the same problem:
    http://forum.processing.org/topic/java-errors

Edited by: 947845 on Jul 20, 2012 4:27 PM
  • 2. Re: CGContextGetCTM: invalid context 0x0 errors on OSX
    979526 Newbie
    Maybe I can narrow down the search for causes.
    My Java application produces the exact same error message only when I execute those lines:

final java.net.URL url = ProjectVanNimwegenBacteria.class.getResource("gui/media/IconMotherMachine64.png");

final Toolkit kit = Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit();

final Image img = kit.createImage(url);

guiFrame.setIconImage(img);

If I take them out they vanish.

Hope that helps,

Florian

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points