This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2012 8:08 AM by ChrisJenkins RSS

TimesTen and OLAP

bigticket Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello there,
I'm on the mission to check what advanateges can give TimesTen in terms of OLAP database performance. TT is kind of new subject for me and I'd be thankful for helping me to figure out following thing:

According to documentation TT is "memory resident relational database". I found out that one must use enhanced version of TT with OLAP database. Do I need Exalitycs for such activity or is it possible to deploy TT for OLAP on any system?
  • 1. Re: TimesTen and OLAP
    Gennady Sigalaev Journeyer
    Hi bigticket,
    According to documentation TT is "memory resident relational database".
    1. TimesTen stores data into memory (copy could be stored on the disk for recovery purpose). It means that you can't put 10 TB into TimesTen, you should put the data subset only.
    I found out that one must use enhanced version of TT with OLAP database. Do I need Exalitycs for such activity or is it possible to deploy TT for OLAP on any system?
    2. Basically, TimesTen could be used for BI systems without Exalytics hardware. But in this case you can't use "In-Memory Columnar compression" and some sql constructions "ROLLUP, CUBE, GROUPING SET". If you want to use these features you should buy Exalytics.

regards,
    Gennady

regards,
    Gennady
  • 2. Re: TimesTen and OLAP
    bigticket Newbie
    Thanks for answering Gennady,
    2. Basically, TimesTen could be used for BI systems without Exalytics hardware. But in this case you can't use "In-Memory Columnar compression" and some sql constructions "ROLLUP, CUBE, GROUPING SET". If you want to use these features you should buy Exalytics.
    So... I can install DB Sofware with OLAP option then create database using Data Warhouse template and then I can use TimesTen as database cache but only for relational structures?
    I can live without columnar compression but using TT without rollups, cubes and so on is pointless. Am I correct?
  • 3. Re: TimesTen and OLAP
    Gennady Sigalaev Journeyer
    So... I can install DB Sofware with OLAP option then create database using Data Warhouse template and then I can use TimesTen as database cache but only for relational structures?
    Yes, but TimesTen should be based on application level (server) where your BI application is based for achieving the best performance. TimesTen can cache data from Oracle tables only.
    I can live without columnar compression but using TT without rollups, cubes and so on is pointless. Am I correct?
    It depends. Previous TimesTen versions (11.2.1, 7.0.X) don't have these features at all :), but I know some customers who used TT 7.0.5 for BI purpose for instance. TimesTen 11.2.2 intoduced a lot of new SQL features like analytic functions (AVG, SUM, COUNT, MAX, MIN, DENSE_RANK, RANK, ROW_NUMBER, FIRST_VALUE and LAST_VALUE) clauses (OVER PARTITION BY and OVER ORDER BY) and etc.
    Full list you can find here (http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E21901_01/doc/timesten.1122/e21630/toc.htm#BEIBHIHG). These features absolutely free for using except (rollups, cubes and grouping set).
    Moreover, you can rewrite your SQL queries without using these operators.

regards,
    Gennady
  • 4. Re: TimesTen and OLAP
    bigticket Newbie
    I get it now. Thank you for nice explenation.

Regards
    bigticket
  • 5. Re: TimesTen and OLAP
    578531 Newbie
    Hi,

I have another question about TT and OLAP, that's can TT take advantage of multiple CPU cores to serve a single SQL query, which usually scans large tables, or joining many tables togather?
  • 6. Re: TimesTen and OLAP
    ChrisJenkins Guru
    At present TimesTen does not support parallel query (multiple threads executing parts of the same query) in a single datastore. In the case of a cache grid, it is possible to do a global parallel query across all the datastores in the grid for some types of query.

Chris

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points