1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2012 2:09 PM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

Start Oracle 11g server

Hi,

I am new to Oracle database 11g. I just installed Oracle 11g and sql developer into my laptop (running Win 7).

Please note, I have not installed SQL plus.
      What to do next? like...

i. how to turn ON the database server.
      ii. how to map sql developer with this oracle 11g database.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Krishnakanth Manivannan
        • 1. Re: Start Oracle 11g server
          sybrand_b
          Do people currently don't read manuals anymore?
          All the documentation is here http://www.oracle.com/pls/db112/homepage
          And please read documentation before you ask anything. This is not a chatroom.

-----------
          Sybrand Bakker
          Senior Oracle DBA
          • 2. Re: Start Oracle 11g server
            Bobby Durrett
            The database and listener are services which are set to automatically startup when you reboot. Just find the services that start with Oracle and make sure they are started.

You should be able to connect to localhost port 1521 once your database and listener services are up. Database should be ORCL.

- Bobby
            • 3. Re: Start Oracle 11g server
              Paulie
              >

Hi Krishnakanth, and welcome to these forums.

I am new to Oracle database 11g. I just installed Oracle 11g and sql developer into my laptop (running Win 7).
              Please note, I have not installed SQL plus.
              What to do next? like...
              i. how to turn ON the database server.
              ii. how to map sql developer with this oracle 11g database.
              SQL*Plus should have been installed along with the server. Check your Oracle folder in your
              start menu in Programs.

The server should be running as a process in the background - if it's not, something is wrong with your install.

Reboot your machine and go to www.sysinternals.com. Download ProcExp [url http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx]here..

Run it - it will show you running processes. You should be able to find Oracle process. BTW, you can use this programme
              as a replacement for Task Manager.

Anyway, please read the forum FAQ and also the "sticky" post at the top of the list on the forum home page.

Help us to help you - these forums are a great resource and you will get the most from them by following the guidelines.
              In particular, search the forum and Google before posting - show us that you've done a bit of work ;) .

HTH,

Paul...

Krishnakanth Manivannan
              • 4. Re: Start Oracle 11g server
                Srini Chavali-Oracle
                Pl identify exact versions of "11g" and "Win 7"

HTH
                Srini
                • 5. Re: Start Oracle 11g server
                  Osama_Mustafa
                  Please Post Database Version 4 digit , Windows 7 too .

SQL > Select * from v$version ;
                  • 6. Re: Start Oracle 11g server
                    EdStevens
                    Osama-mustafa wrote:
                    Please Post Database Version 4 digit , Windows 7 too .

SQL > Select * from v$version ;
                    The OP doesn't know if his db is started, and doesn't know how to connect with any client tool. How do you expect him to issue SQL statements?

Besides, this is exacly the same question Srini posted 3 hours earlier. You had to have seen it. This posting is another example of 'noise'.

Edited by: EdStevens on Jul 23, 2012 6:38 AM
                    • 7. Re: Start Oracle 11g server
                      Hi Paulie,

Thanks for your reply.

I found the sqlplus location.
                      I have gone thru the link http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24186.pdf
                      page 5-2

I clicked the sqlplus in command prompt. I am getting the following msg
                      SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Tue Jul 24 02:06:01 2012
                      Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Enter user-name:

what is the user name and password i have to give.
                      I have tired scott/tiger. It didnot work.
                      Also I have tried
                      SYSDBA/SYS_Password

none of them worked.

I dont think i have given any password.

Please let me know how to proceed further.

Thanks
                      Krishnakanth Manivannan
                      Software Engineer.
                      • 8. Re: Start Oracle 11g server
                        EdStevens
                        948190 wrote:
                        Hi Paulie,

Thanks for your reply.

I found the sqlplus location.
                        I have gone thru the link http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24186.pdf
                        page 5-2

I clicked the sqlplus in command prompt. I am getting the following msg
                        SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Tue Jul 24 02:06:01 2012
                        Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Enter user-name:

what is the user name and password i have to give.
                        I have tired scott/tiger. It didnot work.
                        Also I have tried
                        SYSDBA/SYS_Password

none of them worked.
                        "none of them worked" and "did not work" are not actionable error messages.

From a command prompt:
                        sqlplus    /    as    sysdba
                        COPY the above command.
                        PASTE it into a command prompt
                        COPY the entire session -- command and full response
                        PASTE that copied session back into your next post to this thread.

I dont think i have given any password.

Thanks
                        Krishnakanth Manivannan
                        Software Engineer.
                        • 9. Re: Start Oracle 11g server
                          Paulie
                          >

Hi Krishnakanth,

Start your DOS window. Type in "sqlplus / as sysdba".

This will log you in as the admin user. You should have provided a system password on
                          performing the install.

You should then install the emp sample schema if it hasn't been installed by default. Many
                          examples that you will find either on the internet or on these forums make use of the
                          emp schema. You may have to unlock this account if it is present - I'm not sure. You
                          can Google these tasks.

Download SQL Developer if you don't have it - it's free from Oracle. The rather bare SQL*Plus
                          interface can be intimidating for a newbie - but you should always be able to do anything
                          from the SQL*Plus programme - it's guaranteed to be available on every Oracle installation.
                          With SQL Developer, you should be able to see the available schemas. If you with to log
                          in as SYS on SQL Developer, you will have to provide the password you supplied during
                          the install. If you've lost it, then I would uninstall and then reinstall.

HTH,

Paul...

Krishnakanth Manivannan
                          • 10. Re: Start Oracle 11g server
                            I have the following command and it again asks for the user-name and password
                            sqlplus / as sysdba

Let me try to uninstall and reinstall again.

Could you share us a right procedure installation guide to me.

I am working in IBM Datastage V8.x. I am preparing for SQL fundamentals I exam. Since this is a initial phase for me, I need the installation to fulfill the SQL fundamentals exam. After completing the exam, I will uninstall and reinstall for enterprise edition, etc,..

I am having Corei3 processor with 3GB RAM running Win 7 home basic.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Krishnakanth Manivannan
                            Software Engineer.
                            • 11. Re: Start Oracle 11g server
                              Paulie
                              >

Hi again Krishnakanth,

This could be your problem. I don't think Oracle is supported on home basic. You need
                              AFAIK, at least the Professional/Business version of Windows. Is it 64 bit? If so,
                              I would install on Linux if I were you. I find that it works fine on Ubuntu but YMMV.

Try the uninsall and reinstall - but if you still can't do "sqlplus / as sysdba", then
                              I would suggest that your OS and Oracle are incompatible.

[EDIT: If you have an old version of XP Pro, you could use that.]

HTH,

Paul...

Krishnakanth Manivannan
                              Edited by: Paulie on 24-Jul-2012 21:54
                              • 12. Re: Start Oracle 11g server
                                EdStevens
                                948190 wrote:
                                I have the following command and it again asks for the user-name and password
                                sqlplus / as sysdba
                                Did you do this at an OS command prompt? That's where it belongs, so if you were trying to do it in some other environment, there are no guarantees at all.
                                You should show us the entire command session. Copy and paste are a beautiful thing, but only if you use them. By doing so we can see exactly what you did and exactly how oracle responds. Anything less and we have to guess.
                                Let me try to uninstall and reinstall again.
                                That's like tearing your house down and rebuilding it just because you can't find the door key.
                                Could you share us a right procedure installation guide to me.

I am working in IBM Datastage V8.x.
                                What is that?
                                I am preparing for SQL fundamentals I exam. Since this is a initial phase for me, I need the installation to fulfill the SQL fundamentals exam. After completing the exam, I will uninstall and reinstall for enterprise edition, etc,..
                                Why uninstall/reinstall after the exam? What do you have installed now?
                                I am having Corei3 processor with 3GB RAM
                                irrelevent
                                running Win 7 home basic.
                                No oracle product is certified for any "home" edition of any version of Windows.
                                Thanks for your help in advance.

Krishnakanth Manivannan
                                Software Engineer.
                                • 13. Re: Start Oracle 11g server
                                  EdStevens
                                  Paulie wrote:
                                  >

Hi again Krishnakanth,

This could be your problem. I don't think Oracle is supported on home basic. You need
                                  AFAIK, at least the Professional/Business version of Windows. Is it 64 bit? If so,
                                  I would install on Linux if I were you. I find that it works fine on Ubuntu but YMMV.
                                  Since Ubuntu is also not certified, I'd suggest Oracle Linux. Download and install either VMplayer or VirtualBox, and create a VM. Then his home edition of Windows is irrelevent, and there is no reason not to create that VM with a supported os. He could even download a pre-built system from Oracle using VirtualBox.

As an aside, I've bowed to the prevailing trend in the Oracle world to use VBox for personal systems, but I find VMplayer or VMworkstation much easier to use, more intuitive and better support.

>
                                  Try the uninsall and reinstall - but if you still can't do "sqlplus / as sysdba", then
                                  I would suggest that your OS and Oracle are incompatible.

[EDIT: If you have an old version of XP Pro, you could use that.]

HTH,

Paul...

Krishnakanth Manivannan
                                  Edited by: Paulie on 24-Jul-2012 21:54
                                  • 14. Re: Start Oracle 11g server
                                    Hi Team,

I have installed Ubuntu 12.0.4 in my laptop. I think oracle 11gR2 will work in my machine. Now i need to download the 2GB file. Instead can i get it in a CD. If so please let me know how/where to order.

Thanks
                                    Krishnakanth Manivannan
                                    1 2 Previous Next