2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2012 8:28 AM by 470515 RSS

Oracle VM Server 3.1.1, Why the template has to be cloned?

Hi guys
      After almost three weeks of continuous efforts I managed to import the Template(s) for Oracle E-Business Suite 12.1.3 which has an application template and database template. The total size on disk contributed by the template(s) is almost 300Gbs
      Oracle help available with the VM Manager, Under Creating virtual machines clearly states we need to clone the templates to Virtual Machines in order to use them. During my extensive explorations, I was able to share the virtual disks associated with the Templates and instead of cloning the templates to Virtual Machines, I was able to create Virtual Machine, using the virtual disks shared from the templates itself.
      I was able to start the newly created (not cloned) Virtual Machines and access the console using VNC.

As the space requirement for cloning the templates to Virtual Machines exceeds all possible storage options currently available at my home lab, please point out why I should clone the templates to Virtual Machines when I can straight away create new Virtual Machines simply by sharing the Virtual Disks. All I could figure out, such a cloning requirement is only to provide the option for creating more than one Virtual Machine without making changes to the template virtual disks.

Please clarify my findings and suggest me what could be the best scenario for a lab test from home.

regards,

raj
        • 1. Re: Oracle VM Server 3.1.1, Why the template has to be cloned?
          user12273962
          You can clone the template and then delete the original. ;)

You can also enable compression on your storage environment. A simple compression method can save a lot of space. Just be careful not to use too much compression as reading the compress data will be slower. There is a lot of slack area in the templates because templates do not use sparse allocated disks because of the performance issue of constantly expanding the disks while writing data. Just a thought.

Your lab should be fine to use this method but in production you should have plenty of disks to support your estimated IOPS. Oracle VM wasn't created to be practically confined to "300" GB of storage to run a ERP system such as EBS 12.1.3.
          • 2. Re: Oracle VM Server 3.1.1, Why the template has to be cloned?
            user12273962 wrote:
            You can clone the template and then delete the original. ;)
            lol Indeed a wonderful suggestion! Well I have taken the pain of adding one more storage area for the cloned template and waiting for the VM cloning to finish
            >
            You can also enable compression on your storage environment. A simple compression method can save a lot of space. Just be careful not to use too much compression as reading the compress data will be slower. There is a lot of slack area in the templates because templates do not use sparse allocated disks because of the performance issue of constantly expanding the disks while writing data. Just a thought.

Your lab should be fine to use this method but in production you should have plenty of disks to support your estimated IOPS. Oracle VM wasn't created to be practically confined to "300" GB of storage to run a ERP system such as EBS 12.1.3.
            I have an argument about the Oracle tagline then :D, it only says "familiarize yourself with Oracle E-Business Suite" attracting the attention of masses who can hardly make possible of such high level of storage environments. Btw, my enter setup is virtualized, VM Server and VM Manager is running from VirtualBox itself.

Thanks buddy, let me assess the performance of my last three weeks efforts once after cloning and running the instances.