This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2012 6:07 AM by ManojC RSS

Upgrade Assistant for URM11g!!

ManojC Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I want to upgrade my URM10g to URM 11g. As per oracle documentation I could see we can do it by using the upgrade assistant utility. I want to clarify few things on that.

1. Whether the UA will map the content storage location of 10g server to 11g server or it will migrate the contents inside 11g directory.
2. Do we need to keep the 10g and 11g on the same server machine..

Please help me on the above things.

Thanks
  • 1. Re: Upgrade Assistant for URM11g!!
    William Phelps Expert
    I'd never advocate doing an in-place upgrade. I've worked with Content Server for way longer than I care to admit, and I've never seen the upgrade option work completely smoothly unless you are upgrading a simple vanilla system to another simple vanilla system.

Build a new 11g instance and migrate the settings/content from the old 10g to the new 11g instance. That way, the 10g instance is still operational (minimizing true downtime for users), and also gives you a back-out option if you hit a snag in the migration.

But to answer the questions:
    1 - If I recall correctly, the 10g vault/weblayout now becomes the 11g vault/weblayout. I don't remember any copying of files from one location to another.
    2 - Your 10g instance will go away -- you're upgrading not cloning/copying an instance. There won't be a 10g instance after the upgrade to make this question relevant. The 11g instance replaces the 10g on the same machine.
  • 2. Re: Upgrade Assistant for URM11g!!
    ManojC Explorer
    Thanks for the information William..

We could see in the blogs that the CMU(content migration utility) will help us to migrate the metadata,profile,etc..

Archiver or Batch Loader can be used to migrate content.

Could you please suggest us the best approach for migrating/upgrading from URM10g to URM11g..

Regards
    Prabhu
  • 3. Re: Upgrade Assistant for URM11g!!
    William Phelps Expert
    Prabhu wrote:Could you please suggest us the best approach for migrating/upgrading from URM10g to URM11g..
    I think I did just that in paragraph 2 of my previous response. The Oracle documentation gives a pretty fair amount of detail for the "how-to" concerning the migration of data and settings between instances.
  • 4. Re: Upgrade Assistant for URM11g!!
    916085 Newbie
    Corret me if i am wrong.

In the URM11g the database table names has been changed. If i want to move the schema details of URM10g DB to 11g Schema DB then the direct export and import may fail.

As you mentioned the settings/content should be moved from 10g to 11g instance.

Could you please help me to figure out the available resources and best practice for completely migrating from URM10g to 11g.

Thanks
  • 5. Re: Upgrade Assistant for URM11g!!
    William Phelps Expert
    913082 wrote:Corret me if i am wrong.
    Ok, you're wrong. ;-) Simply copying database tables is not a supported method, and doesn't get everything - not even close.

The Content Server documentation has a boatload of documentation on migration of content/settings from one Content Server instance to another. I'm not about to write out a migration step-by-step plan in this post - that would be way too long of a post. The documentation covers the points.

http://www.oracle.com/pls/as111160/ranked?word=migration&partno=e10792

Please read the documentation and post any questions to the group.
  • 6. Re: Upgrade Assistant for URM11g!!
    ManojC Explorer
    Thanks for correcting me William :)... The above link is really helpful. I could understand that writing down all the migration points in forum may not be feasible. It would be great if you could send me the migration steps in a summarized manner to my email id; prabhu11g@gmail.com

Regards,
    Prabhu
  • 7. Re: Upgrade Assistant for URM11g!!
    William Phelps Expert
    Prabhu wrote: I could understand that writing down all the migration points in forum may not be feasible. It would be great if you could send me the migration steps in a summarized manner to my email id; prabhu11g@gmail.com
    Still not happening... ;-) It's the same amount of work to write up the email as it would be to write a forum post, and would be more beneficial to the group as a whole as a forum post, but it's time-consuming.

The help that is provided in forums is meant to be pointers, not complete how-to documents. Oracle has already written these documents, as I pointed out earlier. If anyone else has time/inclination to write for a few hours on this topic for free, that's their option, but I don't generally have that type of free time.
  • 8. Re: Upgrade Assistant for URM11g!!
    Srinath Menon Guru
    Hi ,

High level idea for upgrade is :

1. Install 11g instance

2. Upgrade 10g schema and point it to the 11g from step 1 .

3. Upgrade middle tier and at this point point to the ECM home from 11g .

Thanks
    Srinath
  • 9. Re: Upgrade Assistant for URM11g!!
    ManojC Explorer
    I will follow the below steps to perform the migration from 10g to 11g instance.

1. Export the configuration details for profiles,views,rules from 10g and Import that bundle using CMU in 11g
    2. Export the folder archive from 10g and import it using folder configuration in 11g to get the folder structure
    3. Export the retention category,disposition, triggers, periods using import/export archive to 11g.
    4. Migrate the content using Archiver to 11g.

Could you please advise me that these above steps would help me to complete the migration.
  • 10. Re: Upgrade Assistant for URM11g!!
    Srinath Menon Guru
    Hi ,

Yes , this is correct in terms of doing a migration using the tools .

Thanks
    Srinath
  • 11. Re: Upgrade Assistant for URM11g!!
    ManojC Explorer
    Thanks Srinath..

Could you please clarify the below queries.

1). Using the CMU is it possible to export the entire schema from 10g to 11g instance?
    2). After moving the retention category to 11g how the disposition lifecycle will be applied/maintained to the contents?

Regards
    Prabhu
  • 12. Re: Upgrade Assistant for URM11g!!
    Srinath Menon Guru
    Hi Prabhu ,

1). Using the CMU is it possible to export the entire schema from 10g to 11g instance?

This is for migrating the configurations from 1 server to the other . This does not migrate schema .

2). After moving the retention category to 11g how the disposition lifecycle will be applied/maintained to the contents?

If all the related parts are moved then yes .

Thanks
    Srinath
  • 13. Re: Upgrade Assistant for URM11g!!
    ManojC Explorer
    Srinath Menon wrote:

If all the related parts are moved then yes .
    Hi Srinath,

As of now I am aware of migrating the Retention Category, Disposition, Period, Triggers using Import/Export utility. Please advise me what are all the remaining related parts I have to export before migrating the content into URM11g.

I have the following options to migrate/upgrade from URM10g to URM11g.

1). Migrate the settings/content from URM10g to URM11g using the migration tools.
    2). Create a replica of URM10g prod server in a seperate server box and install URM11g then upgrade using UA.

Please suggest me the best approach to move from 10g to 11g instance.

Regards,
    Prabhu
  • 14. Re: Upgrade Assistant for URM11g!!
    Srinath Menon Guru
    Hi ,

Create a replica of URM10g prod server in a seperate server box and install URM11g then upgrade using UA.

if you are doing in-house upgrade then no need for step 1 .

Otherwise step 1 + content migration is all that needed .

Thanks
    Srinath
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points