3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2012 1:41 AM by Catch-22 RSS

OEL 6.2 - local yum repository, oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall

Simon Holt
      I'm attempting to set up a sandbox to evaluate OEL as a platform for 11G. I'm very new to OEL itself, and have found the installation "challenging" ;-)

The main difficulty I am having right now is trying to get the oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall rpm to become visible to yum so I can use it.

Please note that this sandbox is not connected to the internet, and never will be due to local policy - so the public yum repository is not an option. Also, since we are just evaluating this at present, we don't have a ULN login. The only available method of obtaining later rpms than that which was available on the OEL6.2 install media is to download them from the oss.oracle.com site and then transfer them. Furthermore, OEL6 install media does not include the package.

Here is what I have done so far:

1: Install OEL6.2 from DVD
      2: Copied the rpms from the DVD to a directory, and created a local repository using the createrepo command
      3: Cleared the yum cache (yum clean all), followed by yum makecache - the expected list of rpms appear under the local repository using yum list available
      4: Obtained the oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall-1.0-6.el6.src.rpm from the oss.oracle.com site, and transferred it to the local repository directory.
      5: Re-created the repository info via createrepo, then cleaned the yum info and reloaded it.

Now, although I see the createrepo command output find and list the oracle..rpm, it doesn't appear in the yum list of available packages. I can't find it by using "yum search all" (using any sort of search terms!), and have refreshed / reloaded the repository several times but to no avail.

I believe I could install the rpm by referencing the file name directly (yum install oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall-1.0-6.el6.src.rpm) but I haven't tried this yet because I would like to understand

a) Why it doesn't appear in the yum package listing
      b) What I've done wrong, if anything!
      c) Whether or not I should just try and install it by referencing the filename directly.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but after a day experimenting and Googling, I'm at my wits end. Most references seem to assume that there is a net connection available to use public yum or a ULN subscription.

Suggestions gratefully received :-)
        • 1. Re: OEL 6.2 - local yum repository, oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall
          Catch-22
          I wonder what information made you copy the rpms from DVD and use createrepo command. You don't need to do any of that. You do not need to create a local yum software repository to install any software. And besides, you certainly do not need to install any source RPM's unless you plan to compile any software using the source code yourself.

Now in order to install the "oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall" package:

Unfortunately the package is not on the Oracle Linux 6.2 installation DVD. It is on Oracle Linux 6.3 though. However, if your server has access to the Internet, the installation is very easy:

Login and type do the following at a terminal command prompt:

<pre>
          su - root
          cd /etc/yum.repos.d
          wget http://public-yum.oracle.com/public-yum-ol6.repo

yum install oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall
          </pre>

That's all.

If you do not have access to the Internet, you can try the following:

Create a file /etc/yum.repos.d/Media.repo, with the content below:

[ol6_base_media]
          name=Oracle Linux 6 Media
          baseurl=file:///media/Server
          gpgcheck=0
          enabled=1

Copy the oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall to your Linux server.

Then insert your installation DVD and type the following:

<pre>
          umount /dev/cdrom
          mount /dev/cdrom /media

yum install ./oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall
          </pre>

Again, having Internet access will make things easier, or use the Oracle Linux 6.3 installation DVD. You do not need a ULN subscription to update your Linux installation to the latest patchsets. It's all available from public-yum.oracle.com for free.

You can obtain the Oracle Linux installation disk images from the usual site:
          https://edelivery.oracle.com/linux

And by the way, there is no OEL anymore, it's Oracle Linux, hence OL 6.2.
          • 2. Re: OEL 6.2 - local yum repository, oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall
            Simon Holt
            Well a combination of various references, including Metalink^H^H^H^H^H^H MOS note 579101.1, http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/linux/installing-software-packages.php, Section 1.3.1 of the 11Gr2 Install Guide for Linux, and a number of other references when looking for "Oracle Linux yum install no internet access". Mostly because I know that

a) In the future I will have to run a local yum repository anyway due to local restrictions

b) It seems that its not possible to use the install media to add in packages post install unless they are copied over in this way (and I need the drive free, so I don't want to leave the media in there and mount it), and I wanted the option of adding / removing software post install.

I did state that there is no internet access for this server. So public yum is not an option.

And if the rpm I've downloaded is just a source, then I didn't realise that because the oss page linked to from the 11Gr2 Install Guide doesn't make it obvious! So just where does one obtain it from if that isn't it, and public yum isn't going to be an option..

Ah well, if its on 6.3, I'll just download that and go from there. Seems it might be a whole lot easier.
            • 3. Re: OEL 6.2 - local yum repository, oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall
              Catch-22
              Please note that this sandbox is not connected to the internet, and never will be due to local policy - so the public yum repository is not an option.
              It think that's Windows user mentality applied to a system administrator, well....
              b) It seems that its not possible to use the install media to add in packages post install unless they are copied over in this way (and I need the drive free, so I don't want to leave the media in there and mount it), and I wanted the option of adding / removing software post install.
              There are alternative options. I could imagine for your case the following could come handy. And you still do not have to create a local software repository.

*1. Copy the installation .iso image to your machine:*

Since I'm on Mac OSX I can use unix commands, for Windows you will have to download WinSCP or similar:

<pre>
              scp 'V33411-01.iso' dude@192.168.56.25:.
              </pre>

*2. Login as root and mount the .iso installation image:*

<pre>
              ssh root@192.168.56.25

mkdir -p /mnt/iso/ol63

Verify the iso image file:
              md5sum V33411-01.iso | tr [:lower:] [:upper:]
              3D1F4B2D17176821E32281B9B4A3D000 V33411-01.iso

mount -o loop,ro /home/dude/V33411-01.iso /mnt/iso/ol63
              </pre>

*3. Create a yum .repo file:*

<pre>
              cd /etc/yum.repos.d
              cat > ol63iso.repo << EOF
              [ol6_base_media]
              name=Oracle Linux 6 Media
              baseurl=file:///mnt/iso/ol63/Server
              gpgcheck=0
              enabled=1
              EOF
              #
              </pre>

*4. Play with yum:*

<pre>
              yum list oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall
              Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit, security
              Available Packages
              oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall.x86_64 1.0-6.el6 ol6_base_media

# yum install oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall
              Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit, security
              Setting up Install Process
              Resolving Dependencies
              --> Running transaction check
              ---> Package oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall.x86_64 0:1.0-6.el6 will be installed
              --> Processing Dependency: compat-libstdc++-33 for package: oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall-1.0-6.el6.x86_64
              --> Processing Dependency: libstdc++-devel for package: oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall-1.0-6.el6.x86_64
              --> Processing Dependency: libaio-devel for package: oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall-1.0-6.el6.x86_64
              --> Processing Dependency: gcc-c++ for package: oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall-1.0-6.el6.x86_64
              --> Processing Dependency: compat-libcap1 for package: oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall-1.0-6.el6.x86_64
              --> Processing Dependency: ksh for package: oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall-1.0-6.el6.x86_64
              --> Running transaction check
              ---> Package compat-libcap1.x86_64 0:1.10-1 will be installed
              etc.
              </pre>

Edited by: Dude on Jul 25, 2012 11:41 PM