This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2012 6:05 AM by user10366531 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Issues in AWT cache Group
    user10366531 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Thanks For detail .

Describing more in detail,

- My DSN setting having passthrough =1.
    - Application is pointed to Timesten.
    - Sequence are in Oracle.
    - AWT cache group is created.
    - DML operations are in TT.

While inserting in TT,due to sequences are not created in TT ,and due to pass through setting data goes in Oracle.

Why Timesten can't throw an error that sequences are not exists .can't TT throw warning or messg that those transaction are commited in oracle. not in TT.
  • 16. Re: Issues in AWT cache Group
    ChrisJenkins Guru
    Normally you would get an error but you have set PassThrough=1 which tells TimesTen to not throw any error and instead execute the statements in Oracle. If you want the behavior that you described then set PassThrough=0. Why do you need PassThrough=1 anyway?

You can't have it both ways. TimesTen is behaving the way you told it to.

Chris
  • 17. Re: Issues in AWT cache Group
    user10366531 Newbie
    can we say that this is bug for TT ?
  • 18. Re: Issues in AWT cache Group
    ChrisJenkins Guru
    No, it is not a bug. TimesTen is behaving exactly as documented and exactly as you have asked it to behave. In what way could this be considered a bug?

Chris
  • 19. Re: Issues in AWT cache Group
    user10366531 Newbie
    my passthrough setting is 1.

for any reason(in our case sequences are not in TT) insert in TT fail, then it will insert in oracle.

here application is using some synonyms ,at the time while we are brining it up with TT.
    so we can not go with option passthogh = 0.

if i can go with passthrough 1 then i am not getting TT warnings.
  • 20. Re: Issues in AWT cache Group
    ChrisJenkins Guru
    I unerstand what you are saying but this is not a bug. This is how PassThrough is intended to work. Can you please elaborate on your 'use of synonyms while bringing up the application'. PassThrough can be controlled dynamically, so maybe you can just set it programatically for the specific statements that need to go to Oracle it rather than set it for everything in the DSN. That will avoid the problem if it is feasible for you. If you do adopt this approach then it is better to set it explicitly to 3 rather than 1 since this is a little more efficient.

Chris
  • 21. Re: Issues in AWT cache Group
    user10366531 Newbie
    see I have take 2 table in cache. where i am inserting.
    Now when Setting passthorh =0 then only two cached tables can be able to access.while for starting application , rest of the tables,synonyms are required .
    so i can not go for passthrough = 0 option.
  • 22. Re: Issues in AWT cache Group
    ChrisJenkins Guru
    As I explained, you can change the setting for PassThrough inside the application. So you could do, in your application code:

1. Set PassThrough=3 (send all SQL directly to Oracle).
    2. Execute application startup things (that use synonyms etc.).
    3. Set PassThrough=0.
    4. Do INSERTS.

In fact, it is even finer grained than this. The PassThrough setting is actually an optimizer hint so it is really associated with a prepared statement. So in fact what you do is set PassThrough as require, prepare statements that need that PassThrough value, change it and prepare other statements and so on. When you later execute the prepared statement it will use the PassThrough value that was set when it was prepared.

So, as long as you are able to make some small changes to the application code you are fine.

Chris
  • 23. Re: Issues in AWT cache Group
    user10366531 Newbie
    Thanks Chris.

your support is appreciated.Thank you so much for helping me.
  • 24. Re: Issues in AWT cache Group
    user10366531 Newbie
    Answered.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points