3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2012 8:49 AM by matthew_morris RSS

OCA doubts

Hi,

I want to take the Associate Certification Path in Oracle Database 11g Administrator and have some doubts about the way to get it. I'm more tied to DBA since I work as systems technician.
      As seen on the program i have to take 2 exams.

Which one in the first step do you recommend? (Z0-051Oracle Database 11g: SQL Fundamentals I, 1Z0-007Introduction to Oracle9i SQL or 1Z0-047Oracle Database SQL Expert)

Is there any specific documentation DVD for taking these exams (including 1Z0-052)? I did the degree project with Oracle and was impressed by good documentation product has (http://www.oracle.com/pls/db112/homepage), but a more guided training would be better to take an on-line course or even self study guide and go for the exam.

Thanks,
      Salva.

Edited by: 949047 on 26-jul-2012 17:20

Edited by: 949047 on 26-jul-2012 17:20

Edited by: 949047 on 26-jul-2012 17:21
        • 1. Re: OCA doubts
          matthew_morris
          Which one in the first step do you recommend?
          My recommendation is 1Z0-051. I've created two articles that compare the three available SQL tests and explain why:

http://www.gocertify.com/articles/oracle-sql-certification-1z0-051-or-1z0-047.html

http://ezinearticles.com/?Oracle-SQL-Certification:-1Z0-007-or-1Z0-051?&id=7103921
          Is there any specific documentation DVD for taking these exams
          but a more guided training would be better to take an on-line course or even self study guide and go for the exam.
          I'm not sure what you're going for here. All of the Oracle documentation is online as you mention. Oracle Education has course material available for 051 and 052 (in class, online, and self-study) but none of it is available for free (nor is it cheap). As for third-party study materials, there are a good number available for both tests. A search on Amazon.com by the test number will return half a dozen books between the two tests.
          • 2. Re: OCA doubts
            Hi Matthew,

Many thanks for the reccomendations, I'll definitely go for Z0-051 the fundamentals!

And as for documentation on exam preraration, I know which will we your reccomendation on Amazon, the reddish the better??? :)

Regards,
            Salva.
            • 3. Re: OCA doubts
              matthew_morris
              And as for documentation on exam preraration, I know which will we your reccomendation on Amazon, the reddish the better???
              Not necessarily. Understand that mine is a Study Guide. It's much more condensed than any of the other books there. If you know Oracle SQL, have been working with it for some time and just need to brush up on the particular aspects that will be on the test, I'd recommend it as a primary source.

However, if you are new to SQL and need something that is going to provide more background and context to the information, then I'd recommend one of the more comprehensive texts as a primary source. In that case mine might be useful as a secondary source if you are interested in one. Mine is small enough that reading it two or three times to reinforce the material isn't the Herculean task it is for a 700-800 page book. For people that do get it, I'd recommend that, and that the last reading be timed so it's at close to the test date as possible. The ideal would be to read the study guide cover to cover the evening before a morning test or the morning before an afternoon test. This will mean the test information is in both long-term memory and short-term memory.

A few days ago John Watson contacted me and suggested that we review each other's 1Z0-052 books. We've run into each other some on the OraFAQ forum and I was happy to agree. Beyond John's experience as an author he's a very skilled DBA and having that kind of eyes on my study guide is great. So right now I'm reading through his book for that test: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0071591028.

His book is so different from my 1Z0-052 study guide that there is almost no comparison. Mine lays out facts that you need to know for the test. John's provides the information that you need in order to work as a DBA... which includes the facts you need to know for the test. The two books have almost completely different aims, but both are valid. The guides in the series that series I've written are intended to help you pass the tests, no more, no less.

Edited by: matthew_morris on Jul 27, 2012 6:32 AM