5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2012 11:57 AM by user11982160 RSS

Unable to connect Discoverer Admin using Sysadmin

Ravi Tripathi
      I am trying to connect discoverer admin using sysadmin user but i am getting error like

Unable to connet to: user@database
      Failed to connect to database Ora-01017: Invalid username/password; Logon Denied

This is working for another client.
      Can any body tell me about solution?

• 1. Re: Unable to connect Discoverer Admin using Sysadmin

Please check the option 'Oracle Applications User" at the time of login.
          If you dont see the option. Then Open Disco Admin>Tools>Options>Connection tab. Select the radio button, 'Connect to both standard and application EULs'.

Now Login again.

• 2. Re: Unable to connect Discoverer Admin using Sysadmin
            Michael Armstrong-Smith
            Hi Ravi
            You'll also need to have the necessary database dbc file installed locally on the machine that is running Discoverer Administration. The dbc file contains the connectivity rules for the Apps database that you want to connect to. Without a local copy your username and password cannot be authenticated.

Here are some instructions:
            1. Set or check the following registry settings on your Admin PC:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Oracle\Discoverer 10\Database\EnableTriggers should be DWORD with a value of 1
            HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Oracle\Discoverer 10\Database\DefaultPreserveDisplayPropertyForRefresh should be a DWORD with a value of 1

2. You need to create for yourself a folder called SECURE under your ORACLE folder:

e.g. mkdir c:\oracle\secure

3. Copy the DBC File from the E-Business Suite database and place it in the secure directory. It will be located in the TOP directory.

4. Create a Windows System Variable FND_SECURE with the value as in step 2 above: e.g. c:\oracle\secure

5. Update your %ORACLE_HOME%/network/admin/tnsnames.ora to include an entry for the E-Business Suite database. The database name must match the two_task entry in the dbc file.

6. You may have to rename the dbc file so that it matches the name by which you are referring to the database in your TNS Names file

7. Make sure that TNSPING works and that you can get a connection to the database

8. You should be able to log in ok now

Best wishes
            • 3. Re: Unable to connect Discoverer Admin using Sysadmin
              Could you please tell me the exact DBC file path. I'm not able to find it in TOP folders.

Also let me know this secure foder I have to create it in WINDOW file system.

• 4. Re: Unable to connect Discoverer Admin using Sysadmin

Discoverer 10g Installation steps
                Oracle Business Intelligence 10g Release 2, a key component of Oracle Application Server 10g Release 2, is an integrated business intelligence solution supporting intuitive ad hoc query, reporting, analysis, and web publishing. Discoverer 10.1.2 is tightly integrated with Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12. Release 12 users can use Discoverer to analyze data from selected business areas in Financials, Operations, and Human Resources etc.

The following are the Discoverer 10g Installation steps for Oracle R12 environment.

1] Install Oracle Business Intelligence Tools 10g ( using below link

First right click on the zip file (as_windows_x86_bi_tools_101202). Extract all to a directory on your PC. Click on the Extracted folder which has the same name (as_windows_x86_bi_tools_101202). Click on the 10g set up icon and follow only the default settings. This installation creates a home “BIToolsHome_1” (If Default location is selected during install).

2] Apply the latest certified Discoverer Plus and Viewer Patches
                To upgrade to Oracle Discoverer – Apply the patch: 4960210

To upgrade to Oracle Discoverer – Apply the patch: 5983622

Follow the installation instructions provided in the patch README to install the patch on your Discoverer 10g Server and to check supported operating systems.

3] Copy Database Connection file
                Discoverer needs access to the Database Connection (dbc) file for the database you wish to connect to. A dbc file is a text file which stores all the information required to connect to a particular database.

First identify the Oracle Home for Discoverer. For example: If you could find dis51usr.exe under the directory D:\oracle\BIToolsHome_1\bin. Then the Oracle Home is D:\oracle\BIToolsHome_1

Create a folder named “secure” in the ORACLE_HOME directory (i.e. D:\oracle\BIToolsHome_1\Secure).

Then copy the dbc file from the $FND_SECURE directory of the E-Business Suite Release 12 instance you are setting up Discoverer with to the Discoverer 10.1.2 “ORACLE_HOME\secure” directory you just created.

Save the dbc file in lowercase.

4] Update tnsnames.ora file
                On your standalone Oracle Business Intelligence Server 10g Release 2 node, update the file ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora and include the tnsnames entry to connect to your Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 database. Use the same entry as exists in the tnsnames.ora file on your Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 application tier server node.

5] Set the Environment
                Discoverer requires Windows Environment variables to dynamically retrieve the location of the .dbc file on the PC.

Open Windows Control Panel and double click on the System icon. Select the Environment tab and create two new System Variables.

FND_SECURE = ORACLE_HOME\Secure
                FND_TOP= ORACLE_HOME

Note: The Oracle Home is the one identified in step 3.

6] Restart the PC and you should be able to connect to Discoverer in an Oracle Applications mode.

Note: When you are connecting to Discoverer for the first time, then Goto Tools > Options. Check the proper EUL in the Connection Tab.

For More Detailed Information Please refer the below metalink note:

Using Discoverer 10.1.2 with Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 [ID 373634.1]
                • 5. Re: Unable to connect Discoverer Admin using Sysadmin
                  I have following all the steps outlined in past post but I am still getting

Unable to connect to: user@database Failed to connect to database - Could not locate or parse the .dbc file A:\.... corresponding to the given Oracle Application instance.

The following changes applied:

1. TNSNAME.ora configured

2. Regedit under ...\Discoverer10.. created and set

3. Environment variables created and set

4. A new folder 'secure' under my ORACLE_HOME created

4. copy of .dbc file from $FND_SECURE and saved in newly created 'secure' folder.

5. Closed and restarted my PC many times now and still same issue.

Any help?

Edited by: user11982160 on Jul 27, 2012 9:56 AM

Issue identified and resolved - the file type was been suffixed to the dbc file name for example visr12.dbc and not visr12.dbc.txt