5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2012 8:31 PM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle RSS

upgrade cloning

Hai all,

We are running oracle applications 11.5.10.2 on linux 32 bit and we are planning to upgrade to linux 64 bit with 12.1.3 .

Now , in order to test this uprgade, I need to clone the existing production environment to a 64 bit machine linux and proceed with the upgrade. How to proceed and clone in this regard ?

Please advise

Kai
        • 1. Re: upgrade cloning
          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
          Hi Kai,
          We are running oracle applications 11.5.10.2 on linux 32 bit and we are planning to upgrade to linux 64 bit with 12.1.3 .

Now , in order to test this uprgade, I need to clone the existing production environment to a 64 bit machine linux and proceed with the upgrade. How to proceed and clone in this regard ?
          Oracle EBS 11i is not certified for the application tier node on Linux 64-bit OS -- Frequently Asked Questions: Oracle E-Business Suite Support on x86-64 [ID 343917.1]

Not sure what your database version is, but to upgrade to 12.1.3 with 11.2.0.3 database you need to upgrade the database to 11gR2 on the new server (export/import), then lay down R12 on the new server and upgrade to R12

Export/Import the 11i database using (Export/import notes on Applications 11i Database 11g [ID 557738.1]).

Upgrade to R12 by referring to these docs.

Oracle E-Business Suite Installation Guide: Using Rapid Install
          http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B53825_08/current/acrobat/121oaig.pdf

Database Preparation Guidelines for an E-Business Suite Release 12.1.1 Upgrade [ID 761570.1]
          Oracle E-Business Suite Installation and Upgrade Notes Release 12 (12.1.1) for Linux x86 [ID 761564.1]
          Oracle E-Business Suite Installation and Upgrade Notes Release 12 (12.1.1) for Linux x86-64 [ID 761566.1]

Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.1.3 Now Available
          https://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/entry/ebs_1213_available

Thanks,
          Hussein
          • 2. Re: upgrade cloning
            Thanks Hussein for your detailed answer. App release is 11.5.10.2 with db running on 10.2.0.5 . Client doesn't want db upgrade. Client wants to upgrade only the application to 12.1.3 . Unfortunately 11.5.10.2 app is not certified to run in linux 64 bit machines.

In this case how to proceed with the upgrade as I need to clone the app tier to upgrade . Client insist to have 64 bit for their app tier (in 12.1.3) . How to proceed in this scenario ?

Please advise

Kai
            • 3. Re: upgrade cloning
              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
              Hi Kai,
              Thanks Hussein for your detailed answer. App release is 11.5.10.2 with db running on 10.2.0.5 . Client doesn't want db upgrade. Client wants to upgrade only the application to 12.1.3 . Unfortunately 11.5.10.2 app is not certified to run in linux 64 bit machines.

In this case how to proceed with the upgrade as I need to clone the app tier to upgrade . Client insist to have 64 bit for their app tier (in 12.1.3) . How to proceed in this scenario ?

Please advise
              In this case, you need to clone the database only using Rapid Clone.

Cloning Oracle Applications Release 11i with Rapid Clone [ID 230672.1]
              Rapid Clone Documentation Resources For Release 11i and 12 [ID 799735.1]

Then, lay down the R12 software on the new machine and upgrade to 12.1.1 then to 12.1.3 (use the docs referenced in my previous reply except for the export/import doc).

You do not need to clone the application tier node in this case, and just copy your CUSTOM_TOPs if you have any (after you finish the complete upgrade).

Thanks,
              Hussein
              • 4. Re: upgrade cloning
                Thanks Hussein.

In case if I can convince the client to go with 32 bit OS, then is it possible to clone 11i to RHEL 5 32 bit (latest update) . Client is currently running RHEL 4 AS

Please advise

Kai
                • 5. Re: upgrade cloning
                  Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                  KaiS wrote:
                  Thanks Hussein.

In case if I can convince the client to go with 32 bit OS, then is it possible to clone 11i to RHEL 5 32 bit (latest update) . Client is currently running RHEL 4 AS

Please advise
                  Yes, you can clone both tiers in this case and upgrade to 12.1.1/12.1.3 and, if you want to migrate later to 64-bit, it is possible.

Thanks,
                  Hussein