Apologies for another one of these as I know there are quite a few and I have looke dta them.
I am having problems connecting to a database on a machine even when using the SQLDeveloper application that is sitting on the same machine.
For a database connection, if I type the hostname as the text 'localhost' and enter all other details, it works fine. However, when I change only the hostname to the name of the Windows 7 machine (with or without the full domain name), I get the adapter error listed above.
Please does anyone know what I would need to change to ensure my connection works when using the computer name?
Thanks for your post.
Things now appear to be working OK but I can't for the life of me understand why. Here is what I did:
1) Change the Listener host field from LOCALHOST to <Machine Name> in Net Manager
2) Stop the Oracle Instance service and set its startup to Manual
3) Restart the machine
4) Start the Oracle Instance service manually.
When I tested the using the machine names in SQL Developer, it worked OK. I then set the Oracle Instance service startup back to Automatic and restarted the machine and I am still able to connect OK.
I still am not sure which combination of the steps above (if any) fixed the problem though as there isn't too much of a logic to it.
Thanks to everyone for your help.
localhost is generally 127.0.0.1, whereas your machine name will have some other IP address.
If the listener was only listening to 127.0.0.1, and you changed to to <machinename>, that would explain what you are seeing.