1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next 97 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2012 9:11 AM by rukbat Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
      • 90. Re: 1Z0-047 Oracle Database SQL Expert Exam Preparation
        OK, thanks.

I would be paying for this out of my own pocket and taking vacation time to do so.
        Still trying to figure out which is the BEST route that will give me the best chance for success, at the lowest cost.
        • 91. Re: 1Z0-047 Oracle Database SQL Expert Exam Preparation
          Matthew Morris
          Still trying to figure out which is the BEST route that will give me the best chance for success, at the lowest cost.
          Ah -- you didn't say that. The best chance of success with the lowest cost is dead easy. Get someone to hire you as a SQL developer and work with it daily for the next decade and a half or so. The cost is so low it is actually negative because they tend to pay you for things like that. :)

If you throw 'practical' and/or 'short-term' into the requirements, then the above goes out the window. At that point, the best remaining route is to write SQL. You can't just parrot the examples in books. You have to write enough SQL that you can look at a statement and know whether it will succeed or fail and what data it will likely return before you run it. Part of working with and learning SQL is making stupid errors. From this you learn to recognize erroneous SQL when you see it.

Books can help. If you're really green with SQL, I don't recommend mine as a primary resource. Steve O'Hearn's book would be a better choice. His book isn't really A to Z -- it assumes you have some experience with SQL. You could say it's G-to-Z. Mine is much more compressed, assumes a higher level of knowledge and does less hand-holding. Call it M-to-Z. Mine is what I wish I had when I studied for the test. I didn't really need hand-holding so much as I needed a refresher of 'the rules according to the documentation' and to brush up on some aspects I use seldom if ever (cubes, rollups, and regular expressions).

Neither book (or both together) will truly make you a SQL Expert even if you memorize every page. Writing SQL does that. Take chess as an analogy. If you memorize every single rule of chess forwards and backwards, you won't become a grand master. However, you'd probably ace an exam about chess because it's a lot easier to write questions about chess rules than ones that test your skill at playing.
          • 92. Re: 1Z0-047 Oracle Database SQL Expert Exam Preparation
            I like your chess analogy, I've been playing chess all my life, now I understand better.

So I guess I will start with the book I used in my database class by Coronel/Morris/Rob (Database Systems - Design, Implementation and Management).
            I did well in the class but it's been over a year since I did anything with SQL or databases.

I guess my biggest disappointment is that Oracle doesn't make it clear what's actually needed to pass the exam and/or make you a SQL expert. But the information you have provide does.

They sell the expensive self study CD's with no real assurance of making you an expert. For someone like me, it's not very practical to attend a live class.

Thanks again
            • 93. Re: 1Z0-047 Oracle Database SQL Expert Exam Preparation
              Apostolis
              Hi,

Do you know if this certification expires after some time?

Thank you.

Regards,
              Apostolis
              • 94. Re: 1Z0-047 Oracle Database SQL Expert Exam Preparation
                Matthew Morris
                Do you know if this certification expires after some time?
                Oracle certifications do not expire. They simply age into obscurity. I was one of the first Oracle certified DBAs in version 7.3. I'm still an Oracle 7.3 certified DBA, but no one cares because that version of the database simply isn't being used by anyone.
                • 95. Re: 1Z0-047 Oracle Database SQL Expert Exam Preparation
                  Apostolis
                  Thank you Matthew for your reply.
                  Well, I know (and I have worked a year ago) on a 7.3 production database! It is still in production I think! :)

Regarding the exam, today I took the exam and passed with flying colors!
                  I have just written 2 articles that I believe might be helpful to anyone that is interested in preparing for the exam.

Could the Certification Forum moderators, inform me if my blogposts violate any Oracle certification agreement / regulations?

Part1: http://maestros.posterous.com/1z0-047-oracle-database-sql-expert-exam-prepa
                  Part2: http://maestros.posterous.com/1z0-047-oracle-database-sql-expert-exam-prepa-38341

I hope they are useful.

Regards,
                  Apostolis
                  • 96. Re: 1Z0-047 Oracle Database SQL Expert Exam Preparation
                    Matthew Morris
                    It is still in production I think!
                    OK -- let me amend my statement to "I don't care if anyone cares that I'm still certified in 7.3. If a company is still using it, I don't want to work there." I worked for two years at a company running a four node RAC on 10.1. When I started, they weren't even on the terminal release of 10.1. I pushed them to at least patch to the 10.1 terminal, but never did get them to move to 10.2 even though we were encountering numerous known 10.1 bugs. I'll grant that 7.3.3 was really stable, but running it in a production environment today is ludicrous.

Could the Certification Forum moderators, inform me if my blogposts violate any Oracle certification agreement / regulations?
                    Nothing in either post appears to be specific enough to pose a problem. The rules don't cover generalities.
                    • 97. Re: 1Z0-047 Oracle Database SQL Expert Exam Preparation
                      Moderator Action:
                      This thread has wandered from a 2007 post about taking a certification test
                      to how to use a particular version of some client software.
                      It is now a fragmented and disconnected exercise in confusion.

This thread is locked.
                      1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next