7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2012 1:05 AM by Billy~Verreynne RSS

Oracle database Performance testing

INRi
      What are the procedure to dp Oracle performance Testing???
      Is there any tools to do Oracle database Performance or load testing??
        • 1. Re: Oracle database Performance testing
          Pavel
          Hi Insa

Can You rephrase Youre question ?
          What is Youre OS , Oracle version ?
          What problem are you really trying to solve?

I now :
          - OS utilities (vmstat, top) ,
          - OSWatcher ,
          - Spotlight on Oracle ,
          - Enterprise Manager Cloud Control

Regards,
          Pavel
          • 2. Re: Oracle database Performance testing
            Hoek
            There are many tools.
            Read/search the Performance Tuning Guide
            @
            http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10822/toc.htm (2-Day)
            and
            http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e16638/toc.htm (Complete)

Example: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e16638/design.htm#i28257
            • 3. Re: Oracle database Performance testing
              INRi
              OS- windows
              DB-Oracle11gr2
              Just i want check if 100 of users using my Application at a time what will be the performance of my database??
              • 4. Re: Oracle database Performance testing
                Pavel
                Hi Insa

Every database has a botleneck, I advise to take a look in links Hoek provided
                and to pass from the general understanding of principles to the detailed analysis and identification of the possible reasons of falling of performance,
                else youre analize will be inefficient .

You can for example
                - watch performance online on the windows task manager,
                - query
                select ...
                from V$SESSION, V$SESSION_WAIT
                where v$session.sid = v$session_wait.sid
                to now botlenecks in performance of youre database
                - create AWR report

Regards,
                Pavel
                • 5. Re: Oracle database Performance testing
                  Aman....
                  insa wrote:
                  Not really that there is specific tool for performance testing but with 11g , Oracle has introduced a concept of change management which has couple of tools to test the performance of the database with the workload of the current database. You may have a look at those tools and see if it helps you.
                  http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e16540/toc.htm

Other than this, you may have to use external tools like Swingbench etc to create a load and do performance testing.

Aman....
                  • 6. Re: Oracle database Performance testing
                    sb92075
                    insa wrote:
                    It depends upon the type of performance you are trying to measure.
                    Some algorithms scale better than others.

Are you testing for performance at the module level or the application scalability as as whole?
                    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e16540/dbr_intro.htm#RATUG104
                    • 7. Re: Oracle database Performance testing
                      Billy~Verreynne
                      insa wrote:
                      OS- windows
                      DB-Oracle11gr2
                      Just i want check if 100 of users using my Application at a time what will be the performance of my database??
                      Database performance is dependent on a number of factors - where application design, application code and data model, are critical components.

And these components need to be designed, written, and implemented with performance and scalability as primary requirements. From design issues like using 3NF correctly, to coding issues like using bind variables correctly.

You cannot simply slap design and code together, run that against the database, and then tune database performance. That is not the correct approach. Oracle database technology performs very well. It is the application that does not perform. It is the design that does not perform. It is the architecture that does not perform.

When I see the comment that someone wants to test database performance, I see someone not understanding what determines performance - and incorrectly thinking that the database is a black box, and that this black box's performance can be tuned and set, irrespective of the data model, application code and architecture used.