10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2012 3:38 PM by EdStevens RSS

install a new database to clone an existing one?

Ingenio
      Hi all.
      I have a database 11.2 on linux working fine, I want to clone this db for a dev. env., so I just installed a new linux machine (machine#2) with the same O.S. than machine #1 (OEL 4.7)

May I choose "install software only" option at step 2??? I dont know the difference between choose "install and configure" and "software only" options.
      if correct, what do I need to do later?
      I need to have exactly the same, so when I have things ready for production export ot to the machhine #1.

thanks
        • 1. Re: install a new database to clone an existing one?
          sb92075
          Ingenio wrote:
          Hi all.
          I have a database 11.2 on linux working fine, I want to clone this db for a dev. env., so I just installed a new linux machine (machine#2) with the same O.S. than machine #1 (OEL 4.7)

May I choose "install software only" option at step 2??? I dont know the difference between choose "install and configure" and "software only" options.
          I need to have exactly the same, so when I have things ready for production export ot to the machhine #1.

thanks
          which utility do you plan to invoke to actually do the clone operation?

Handle:     Ingenio
          Status Level:     Newbie (15)
          Total Posts:     129
          Total Questions:     58 (39 unresolved)

why so many unanswered questions?
          • 2. Re: install a new database to clone an existing one?
            Ingenio
            Thank to reply.

I dont know which utility I may use, i need an experienced user tells me how to.

why so mane unanswered questions? because almost never have a correct answer.
            • 3. Re: install a new database to clone an existing one?
              sb92075
              Ingenio wrote:
              Thank to reply.

I dont know which utility I may use, i need an experienced user tells me how to.
              RMAN> DUPLICATE DATABASE;
              • 4. Re: install a new database to clone an existing one?
                Srini Chavali-Oracle
                You will first need to clone the Oracle binaries from the source to target - steps are documented

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/em.112/e12255/oui6_cloning.htm

Once this is done, clone the database

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10642/rcmdupdb.htm

HTH
                Srini
                • 5. Re: install a new database to clone an existing one?
                  Helios-GunesEROL
                  Hi;
                  All those information cover at:
                  http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e16763/inst_task.htm#BABJGGJH << check under *7.See Chapter 5 for information about tasks that you must complete after you install Oracle Database*
                  If you want to clone your datase you can go with clone operation or datapum. Please use search mechanisim. Similar issue mention here many times.
                  From search:
                  clone database
                  Re: how to do database cloning
                  Duplicating Database

Also see:
                  How To Make A Copy Of An Open Database For Duplication To A Different Machine [ID 224274.1]

PS:Please dont forget to change thread status to answered if it possible when u belive your thread has been answered, it pretend to lose time of other forums user while they are searching open question which is not answered,thanks for understanding

Regard
                  Helios

Regard
                  Helios
                  • 6. Re: install a new database to clone an existing one?
                    Ingenio
                    sb92075,
                    rman duplicate according to the guide:

I installed software (not configured database) on "Destination Host". is it ok?

thsnks
                    • 7. Re: install a new database to clone an existing one?
                      sb92075
                      Ingenio wrote:
                      sb92075,
                      rman duplicate according to the guide:

I installed software (not configured database) on "Destination Host". is it ok?
                      yes, installed software is necessary to exist on Destination Host
                      • 8. Re: install a new database to clone an existing one?
                        Ingenio
                        No guide works for me.
                        not easy to understand, and Yes, I know,"its easy" ...

I did export import data pump.

another post unanswered.

thanks for all.
                        • 9. Re: install a new database to clone an existing one?
                          sb92075
                          Ingenio wrote:
                          No guide works for me.

another post unanswered.

thanks for all.
                          then consider not using Oracle & only use MS Access which is much more user friendly software.

You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
                          • 10. Re: install a new database to clone an existing one?
                            EdStevens
                            Ingenio wrote:
                            No guide works for me.

another post unanswered.

thanks for all.
                            Well, you never gave any indication of what kind of problem you were/are having. Just some very broad and generalized questions. The quality of the answer is in direct relation to the quality of the question. The specificity of the answer is in direct relation to the specificity of the question.

Exactly what kind of answer were you expecting that you didn't receive?