4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2012 9:54 AM by Helios-GunesEROL RSS

Oracle patch upgrade after downgrade

We patched Oracle from 11.2.0.2 to 11.2.0.3 successfully. Third party app had issue and blamed it on the patch, so I downgraded back to 11.2.0.2 successfully.
      Turns out the problem was not with Oracle, and I want to get back to 11.2.0.3.

For the downgrade, I did (just listing the major steps)
      startup downgrade
      drop sysman
      @catdwgrd

Point ORACLE_HOME / oratab / oraInst to the old, renamed ORACLE_HOME (11.2.0.2)
      attachHome
      apply patch 11811073 (new catrelod.sql)

Startup upgrade
      @catrelod
      bounce DB and @utlrep, and everything looks peachy on 11.2.0.2.

My question now is - what is the most painless way to get back to 11.2.0.3 ?
      Can I just re-point to the new ORACLE_HOME and run a catupgrd / catrelod out of the 11.2.0.3 dirs ?

Edited by: allgoodnamesaretaken on 31-Jul-2012 13:57
        • 1. Re: Oracle patch upgrade after downgrade
          damorgan
          The most painless way to get from 11.2.0.2 to 11.2.0.3 in order is:

1. Fire your developers ... these people cost you time, your organization money, and gave you an opinion without a single shred of fact to support it: These are dangerous people. Next time they might make a more serious mistake.

2. Upgrade the way you successfully upgraded the first time.

All that said ... run this past Oracle by opening an SR just to "Cover Your ...."
          • 2. Re: Oracle patch upgrade after downgrade
            vlethakula
            dbua in silent mode would be quicker

export ORACLE_HOME=<11.2.0.3 HOME>
            export PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH
            type dbua-----11.2.0.3 home
            dbua -silent -sid <sidname>
            • 3. Re: Oracle patch upgrade after downgrade
              Srini Chavali-Oracle
              As Dan mentioned, follow the same steps for the upgrade as you did before. The steps are documented

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e23633/toc.htm

HTH
              Srini
              • 4. Re: Oracle patch upgrade after downgrade
                Helios-GunesEROL
                Hi;

Just wonder, Dont you get any information your 3th party tool certified or not certified wiht that version? Secondly You already mention you made upgrade wihtout any issue so why you are looking different path:) Journey? :)

Anyway check below note :
                Different Upgrade Methods For Upgrading Your Database [ID 419550.1]

PS:Please dont forget to change thread status to answered if it possible when u belive your thread has been answered, it pretend to lose time of other forums user while they are searching open question which is not answered,thanks for understanding

Regard
                Helios