This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2012 10:51 PM by sxkumar RSS

From where I can download SOA Management Pack Enterprise Edition 11g

Roshni Shankar Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

I want to download and use SOA Management Pack Enterprise Edition for monitoring my SOA 11g applications. Can anyonme tell me the location from where I can download it. Can I download and apply this SOA Management Pack Enterprise Edition on Fusion Middleware Ciontrol 11g which gets installed with SOA suite11g or is it included in Oracle Enterprise Manager grid control only and to get SOA Management Pack Enterprise Edition I have to download OEM grid control.

Please guide!!

Edited by: Roshni Shankar on Jul 31, 2012 5:56 AM
  • 1. Re: From where I can download SOA Management Pack Enterprise Edition 11g
    sbarber_uk Newbie
    The SOA Management Pack is not a downloadable entity in it's own right. It is just a licensing term. Did you have a specific feature of the Management Pack that you wanted ?
  • 2. Re: From where I can download SOA Management Pack Enterprise Edition 11g
    Roshni Shankar Newbie
    Thanks,

But can you tell me please if I can use it with Fusion Middleware Control which gets installed automatically with Oracle SOa Suite 11g or this is only available with OEM grid control 11g. It is urgent. Please guide!!!
  • 3. Re: From where I can download SOA Management Pack Enterprise Edition 11g
    GlenH Newbie
    Hi Roshni,

The SOA Management Pack is part of Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12c. Essentially, it is included with the default installation (although the license itself also allows you to utilize Oracle BTM for transaction management). Once you install Enterprise Manager Cloud Control, you simply deploy an EM agent to the host(s) where your SOA Suite domain is located and then you can run through the Fusion Middleware domain discovery wizard to discover your SOA domain and all of the targets. Assuming you also licensed WLS Management Pack EE, you can also utilize features like JVM diagnostics and the Middleware Diagnostics Advisor (MDA) to monitor and manage the underlying WLS container and JVM.

If you require additional clarity, you may want to check out some of the links below.

Best Practices for Middleware Management Self-Study Course - http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=44785:24:0::NO:24:P24_CONTENT_ID,P24_PREV_PAGE:6345,29 - Highly recommended free 2 hour self-praced course on best practices for WLS and SOA Management

Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c - Getting Started with Fusion Middleware Management Guide - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/install.121/e24215/toc.htm - Walk through guide to help you get started with WLS and FMW (SOA, Coherence, WC) managment in Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12c

SOA Management Whitepaper - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/oem/pdf/511861.pdf

Diagnose WebLogic Performance Bottlenecks in Composite Applications - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJQobSKw4gA - 5 min self-running demo

Managing SOA Suite self-running demo - http://www.youtube.com/user/OracleLearning#p/c/F45DBCDF595F1D1D/8/sYi4MTGDMHg

Hope that helps, you can also check the Middleware Management page on OTN via the URL below.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/oem/soa-mgmt/index.html
  • 4. Re: From where I can download SOA Management Pack Enterprise Edition 11g
    Roshni Shankar Newbie
    Thanks, Those links were helpful. That means we can not use SOA management pack enterprise edition with Fusion Miidleware Control right???

Edited by: Roshni Shankar on Aug 1, 2012 2:51 AM
  • 5. Re: From where I can download SOA Management Pack Enterprise Edition 11g
    GlenH Newbie
    Yes, the SOA management features are only available in Enterprise Manager Cloud Control (EMCC) 12c. FMWC doesn't have a repository and thus doesn't have any historical metrics, alerting, BPEL/SOA composite analysis, transaction management, and the majority of other features you will want to take advantage of to manage your SOA environment. It is similar to the WLS Admin Console in that it is more for single domain real-time monitoring which is often required during development as opposed to production and your testing and staging cycles. Basically, you need Enterprise Manager Cloud Control to fully monitor and manage your SOA environment and take advantage of the pack. The links provided earlier should guide you in taking advantage of all of the capabilities in EMCC for SOA management.
  • 6. Re: From where I can download SOA Management Pack Enterprise Edition 11g
    Roshni Shankar Newbie
    Thanks a lot!!!

Your replies are really helpful!!!

okk..can you please tell me what is the difference between soa management pack and fusion Middleware plug-in. Fusion Middleware plug-in gets installed automatically when I install OEM cloud control 12c then when and why I would need SOA management pack enterprise edition and how can I extend my OEM 12c cloud control to use SOA management pack enterprise edition.
  • 7. Re: From where I can download SOA Management Pack Enterprise Edition 11g
    GlenH Newbie
    SOA Management Pack EE and for that matter, all of our packs are the method used to license OEM for various platforms. Within the packs, you have a variety of different components licensed. The SOA management functionality in EM Cloud Control 12c specifically is included in the FMW plug-in, so you are already covered on that front. Therefore, I think you are good to go if you already have that installed. The FMW plug-in also contains our management for WLS, WC, OBIEE, iAS, Coherence, and may other platforms, so it is broader than just SOA Management Pack EE, but that is indeed where the functionality lays. Anyways, it is easy to get confused between the packs which encompass licenseable functionality from the actual components that are installed, but that is the difference in a nutshell. I hope that clearifies things a bit.

I should also note that Oracle BTM is also licensed within the pack in addition to EMCC for SOA management. BTM will provide payload based transaction tracing for individual and groups of business transactions. This is additional APM functionaly we highly recommend, but obviously is optional from a deployment perspective. My recommendation would be to first get up and running with your SOA management in EMCC and then once fully deployed, broaden out to BTM as well in order to get full end-to-end visibility.
  • 8. Re: From where I can download SOA Management Pack Enterprise Edition 11g
    Roshni Shankar Newbie
    okk.. if FMW plug-in is more than siffucient to manage SOA then why we need a SOA Management Pack. When we should go for using this management pack? I am not understanding the usage and advantage of the SOA Management Pack.

Please guide!!
  • 9. Re: From where I can download SOA Management Pack Enterprise Edition 11g
    sxkumar Explorer
    Ok. Let's see if this help. Plug-in is a software artifact that you install. Management Packs are licensible entity. Installing a plug-in may give you access to one or more management packs. Conversely, you may need to install more than one plug-ins or products to use all features of a management pack.

To get started, please refer to EM licensing guide:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/license.121/e24474/toc.htm

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points