11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2012 7:04 AM by EdStevens RSS

Oracle 10g configuration Kindly give your suggestions

Hi Gurus,

I am an oracle developer. Planning to switch myself as ORACLE DBA. it is very intersting to study the oracle internal. i need to have some practical analysis.

Kindly help me for below queries

1) Planning to install Oracle enterprise edition. kindly tell me the configuration details for installing oracle 10g or oracle 9i in the laptop. I need the RAM configuration and DISK memory configuration requirment details.

2) Laptop is better or desktop?

Kindly give me your advise and tips that will be veryhelpfull for me as ORACLE dba.

kINDLY REPLY
      s
        • 1. Re: Oracle 10g configuration Kindly give your suggestions
          Osama_Mustafa
          if you are planning to Study and start as DBA , I suggest to install Database on vmware and you can install oracle XE database since its free and no need for license. about configuration its depend on hardware specification

Edited by: Osama-mustafa on Aug 1, 2012 9:09 AM
          • 2. Re: Oracle 10g configuration Kindly give your suggestions
            THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY.

One of my collegue who installed oracle9i was very slow because of RAM speed(532MB). I believe we need atleast 2GB for good performance.

Kindly give more suggestions

S
            • 3. Re: Oracle 10g configuration Kindly give your suggestions
              Osama_Mustafa
              -what his database used for ?
              • 4. Re: Oracle 10g configuration Kindly give your suggestions
                he installed oracle9i enterprise edition
                • 5. Re: Oracle 10g configuration Kindly give your suggestions
                  Osama_Mustafa
                  oraclehema wrote:
                  he installed oracle9i enterprise edition
                  back to this thread :
                  Slow Performance Oracle 9i

532MB its too low for oracle.
                  • 6. Re: Oracle 10g configuration Kindly give your suggestions
                    sybrand_b
                    1) Oracle 10g and 9i are both desupported for a very long time. Please don't waste your time and go to 11gR2 directly
                    2) Laptop or desktop doesn't matter.

----------
                    Sybrand Bakker
                    Senior Oracle DBA
                    • 7. Re: Oracle 10g configuration Kindly give your suggestions
                      Osama-mustafa wrote:
                      I suggest to install Database on vmware and you can install oracle XE database since its free and no need for license. about configuration its depend on hardware specification

Could you kindly help me on this..? How can i install database through vmware..? vmware is connection of virtual desktop right?

S
                      • 8. Re: Oracle 10g configuration Kindly give your suggestions
                        Osama_Mustafa
                        oraclehema wrote:
                        Osama-mustafa wrote:
                        I suggest to install Database on vmware and you can install oracle XE database since its free and no need for license. about configuration its depend on hardware specification

Could you kindly help me on this..? How can i install database through vmware..? vmware is connection of virtual desktop right?

S
                        its software you can download it from internet used to create your Own environment and you control the resource and space . its better to install on vmware.
                        • 9. Re: Oracle 10g configuration Kindly give your suggestions
                          Osama_Mustafa
                          You can use online tutorial which is really useful :
                          http://www.oracle-dba-online.com/
                          http://st-curriculum.oracle.com/tutorial/DBXETutorial/index.htm

Please if you believe you get your answer mark this thread as answered .
                          • 10. Re: Oracle 10g configuration Kindly give your suggestions
                            EdStevens
                            oraclehema wrote:
                            Hi Gurus,

I am an oracle developer. Planning to switch myself as ORACLE DBA. it is very intersting to study the oracle internal. i need to have some practical analysis.

Kindly help me for below queries

1) Planning to install Oracle enterprise edition. kindly tell me the configuration details for installing oracle 10g or oracle 9i in the laptop.
                            Why start your learning on a de-supported version? Start with 11.2.0.1
                            I need the RAM configuration and DISK memory configuration requirment details.
                            All the requirements are listed in the fine Installation Guide

>
                            2) Laptop is better or desktop?
                            Oracle doesn't care
                            Kindly give me your advise and tips that will be veryhelpfull for me as ORACLE dba.
                            As others have said, the best recommendation is to download either VMplayer (free from VMware) or VMworkstation (about US$185 from VMware, but with better management tools than the free version) or VirtualBox (free from Oracle, but not quite as easy to work with as VMware). With any of these tools you can create a virtual machine on your laptop/desktop. On that virtual machine you can install Oracle Linux (free from Oracle). Once you have that built, you can download and install any Oracle product you want -- includeing Database Enterprise Edition -- free from Oracle for self-study purposes.
                            kINDLY REPLY
                            s
                            PS:
                            Learning how to look things up in the documentation is time well spent investing in your career. To that end, you should drop everything else you are doing and do the following:

Go to tahiti.oracle.com.

Drill down to your product and version.

<b><i><u>BOOKMARK THAT LOCATION</u></i></b>

Spend a few minutes just getting familiar with what is available here. Take special note of the "books" and "search" tabs. Under the "books" tab you will find the complete documentation library.

Spend a few minutes just getting familiar with what <b><i><u>kind</u></i></b> of documentation is available there by simply browsing the titles under the "Books" tab.

Open the Reference Manual and spend a few minutes looking through the table of contents to get familiar with what <b><i><u>kind</u></i></b> of information is available there.

Do the same with the SQL Reference Manual.

Do the same with the Utilities manual.

You don't have to read the above in depth. They are <b><i><u>reference</b></i></u> manuals. Just get familiar with <b><i><u>what</b></i></u> is there to <b><i><u>be</b></i></u> referenced. Ninety percent of the questions asked on this forum can be answered in less than 5 minutes by simply searching one of the above manuals.

Then set yourself a plan to dig deeper.
                            - Read a chapter a day from the Concepts Manual.
                            - Take a look in your alert log. One of the first things listed at startup is the initialization parms with non-default values. Read up on each one of them (listed in your alert log) in the Reference Manual.
                            - Take a look at your listener.ora, tnsnames.ora, and sqlnet.ora files. Go to the Network Administrators manual and read up on everything you see in those files.
                            - When you have finished reading the Concepts Manual, do it again.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

PPS:
                            Why are you considering making this change? There will always be more jobs for developers than for DBAs. What is your motivation? Please don't tell me it's because of the money.

Edited by: EdStevens on Aug 1, 2012 7:04 AM
                            • 11. Re: Oracle 10g configuration Kindly give your suggestions
                              EdStevens
                              oraclehema wrote:
                              Osama-mustafa wrote:

S
                              VMware is the name of a company that produces several virtualization products. What you would be interested in is either VMplayer (free) or VMworkstation (slight cost, but better management tools). These allow you to create a virtual machine on your laptop/desktop. Once that vm is created, you can pretty much treat it like a real machine - install whatever OS you want, install whatever software you want that is supported by that OS.