This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2012 6:16 AM by r035198x RSS

EJB update not showing

diego10 Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi everyone!
a quick question here:
I have a proyect developed using EJB3.0, JSF1.0 and oracle 10g
well I show a datatable using a ejb query. I update a table directly into my DB using oracle sql developer (SQL Query)
and the update value (i.e employee name) doesn't appear on screen, only the old value appears
but if I delete or insert something in my DB using SQL commands it does show it.
If I stop and reRun the app it does show.
but not when updating why is that? and how can I solve it? thanks in advance!

Edited by: 911437 on 31-jul-2012 10:03
  • 1. Re: EJB update not showing
    gimbal2 Guru
    Its either the browser cache or "there is a bug in your code".
    JSF1.0
    I REALLY hope you mean JSF 1.2.
  • 2. Re: EJB update not showing
    diego10 Explorer
    I don't think is a bug, it only happens when I externally update a table in my case using oracle sql developer. Well when I create a new JSF JSP it shows : JSF Core: 1.0 and JSF HTML 1.0 is it jsf1.0? how can I tell which version I got.
  • 3. Re: EJB update not showing
    gimbal2 Guru
    it only happens when I externally update a table in my case using oracle sql developer
    JPA or Hibernate is used? A cache is configured perhaps?

Just making educated guesses here, which you should also be able to do.
  • 4. Re: EJB update not showing
    diego10 Explorer
    A cache? what do you mean by that, the browser? well everything is enabled, JPA is used. I dont know what is the deal with it, it I update via EJB it does show it but not externally
  • 5. Re: EJB update not showing
    gimbal2 Guru
    No, a persistence cache... Why do you think I ask about JPA if I would be referring -again- to the browser cache?

Your problem description seems to point to one being in place because when you would update the record through JPA (EJB has very little to do with it - know the tech you work with) then the persistence cache would get updated while if the data is updated anywhere else the data in the cache would not get updated until the cache is cleared.
  • 6. Re: EJB update not showing
    r035198x Pro
    If the architecture called for JPA then you should not be updating data in the database outside of JPA if the data is also accessed by the entities.
    Sneaking in behind JPA's loses all the advantages that you chose JPA for in the application.
    Even if you disable the second level cache, you will still have inconsistencies and delayed updates because some data will always be stale.
  • 7. Re: EJB update not showing
    gimbal2 Guru
    r035198x wrote:
    If the architecture called for JPA then you should not be updating data in the database outside of JPA if the data is also accessed by the entities.
    That is no rule, a sane architecture allows for that to happen.
    Sneaking in behind JPA's loses all the advantages that you chose JPA for in the application.
    Not really. The major advantage of JPA or any other ORM layer is to have an object oriented approach to the data, such things as being less tied to a specific database vendor and caching are an added bonus.
    Even if you disable the second level cache, you will still have inconsistencies and delayed updates because some data will always be stale.
    I can't speak for you, but I've never had any problems with it. And in fact I don't use a 2nd level cache unless I really need to, which is hardly ever.

Just don't hold on to data when you don't need to, that is the only trick you need.
  • 8. Re: EJB update not showing
    r035198x Pro
    gimbal2 wrote:
    That is no rule, a sane architecture allows for that to happen.
    With results exactly like the OP is getting.
    >
    Not really. The major advantage of JPA or any other ORM layer is to have an object oriented approach to the data...
    And that advantage is lost when you sneak in behind. The solutions that JPA solved for you are lost and you have to solve them again. The errors that JPA shielded you from resurface.
    I can't speak for you, but I've never had any problems with it. And in fact I don't use a 2nd level cache unless I really need to, which is hardly ever.
    The point was that you will have always have stale data if you update the db outside the application until the persistence provider session has synced with the DB again. This is true even if you use JDBC.
  • 9. Re: EJB update not showing
    gimbal2 Guru
    r035198x wrote:
    The solutions that JPA solved for you are lost and you have to solve them again. The errors that JPA shielded you from resurface.
    You seem to believe that JPA is some kind of magic wand. It is not, it does not solve problems. It makes specific tasks easier (like mapping data to an object tree and the other way around), not more secure. It does not protect the programmer from himself and it is not its task to do so.

There is no "sneaking in from behind" either. It is perfectly valid to reference a database from multiple independent sources - that's why the darned things do what they do!
  • 10. Re: EJB update not showing
    r035198x Pro
    gimbal2 wrote:
    r035198x wrote:
    The solutions that JPA solved for you are lost and you have to solve them again. The errors that JPA shielded you from resurface.
    You seem to believe that JPA is some kind of magic wand.
    No I do not believe any such things, there is nothing in my post to suggest that.
  • 11. Re: EJB update not showing
    gimbal2 Guru
    r035198x wrote:
    gimbal2 wrote:
    r035198x wrote:
    You seem to believe that JPA is some kind of magic wand.
    No I do not believe any such things, there is nothing in my post to suggest that.
    Whatever, lets agree to disagree then.
  • 12. Re: EJB update not showing
    r035198x Pro
    >
    Whatever, lets agree to disagree then.
    But we haven't slapped each other' bellybuttons with trout tails yet.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points