This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2012 1:37 AM by Kalyan Pasupuleti-Oracle RSS

Managed Server Memory Settings

inthelineoffire Pro
Currently Being Moderated
Experts,

I have a 64 bit machine with 12 GB Ram. I have one admin server and 1 managed server on the windows machine. I have set the following for the managed server at Home >Summary of Servers >ADFServer > Server Start > Arguments
-Xms2g -Xmx4g --XX:PermSize=512m -XX:maxPermSize=1024m
Now how do i know when the server is running if the memory allocated to managed server ?

thnks
WLS 10.3.5
  • 1. Re: Managed Server Memory Settings
    804328 Newbie
    The parameters you have set as JVM arguments under Server Start tab is used by nodemanager when the nodemanager has to start the specific managed server.

If you are concerned about seeing whether the Jvm arguments have taken effect,then you may have to start the weblogic server instance and check the stdout log file to validate the jvm arguments that have been picked up.

If you want to monitor the memory consumption like the various allocation within the java heap and utilisation,then there are various tools for doing the same.

Hope this helps!

-Sandeep
  • 2. Re: Managed Server Memory Settings
    inthelineoffire Pro
    Thnks,

The catch here is i am using the default way to start weblogic i.e. by starting the admin server and the managed server from the console. Now in such a case i can only see the memory of the admin server in the stdout and not managed server.
  • 3. Re: Managed Server Memory Settings
    804328 Newbie
    Assuming console stands for weblogic console,

You cannot start an admin server from the Weblogic console as the weblogic console is hosted on the Admin server and if you can only stop the Admin server through the weblogic console but cannot start it.

You can start and stop the managed server instance using the weblogic console but starting a managed server from the weblogic console requires nodemanager to be configured without which you cannot start the managed server from the Admin console.

The JVM arguments you might have specified can be inspected in the .out file of the specific managed server which is under your domains\XYZ_domain\servers\MS1\logs

-Sandeep
  • 4. Re: Managed Server Memory Settings
    Kalyan Pasupuleti-Oracle Expert
    Hi,

Try to use Jconsole / visualVM to verify how much heap you have set for your specific weblogic server.

Regards,
    Kal

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points