This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2012 1:14 PM by 945475 RSS

Need a release that works on Windows7/64 bit

945475 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Cannot find pre-built binary that works on Windows-7/64 bit. First I downloaded and installed 2.5.16 from here: http://download.oracle.com/berkeley-db/dbxml-2.5.16.msi

The installer appears to have updated my PATH to include "+C:\Program Files (x86)\Oracle\Berkeley DB XML 2.5.16\bin+" so the DLLs are accessible. Then after RTFM, "BerkeleyDBXML-Intro.pdf" - I tried to use the command shell to perform the most basic operation possible, but it failed:

dbxml> createcontainer foo.dbxml
Creating node storage container

dbxml> putdocument '<root/>' s
stdin:3: putDocument failed, Error: Error: XML Indexer:
Fatal Parse error in document at line 1, char 1. Parser message: invalid document structure (Document: <root/>)

Next, I thought I would try programmatically to see if I could get some insight on the error. I compiled and ran "HelloWorld.java" with a 32-bit JDK/VM
and got:

illegal flag specified to DB_ENV->set_encrypt
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid argument
     at com.sleepycat.db.internal.db_javaJNI.DbEnv_open(Native Method)
     at com.sleepycat.db.internal.DbEnv.open(DbEnv.java:317)
     at com.sleepycat.dbxml.XmlManager.<init>(XmlManager.java:80)

Then I uninstalled 2.5.16 and installed 2.*4*.16 instead, thinking that a prior release might be more stable, but this time, I could not even launch the "dbxml" shell - it bombed out with an unspecified error.

Is there any where I can find a working binary for Windows7-64 bit?
  • 1. Re: Need a release that works on Windows7/64 bit
    945475 Newbie
    Sorry about this duplicate of Berkeley DB XML running on a Windows XP Professional x64 system
    however, the forum search did not find the original post. So I reluctantly thought I was the first ask. It was not until I searched externally with Google, the phrase, "BDB XML Windows" - that I arrived at the relevant post. Since almost nobody runs 32bit Windows anymore - when does Oracle plan to release a 64bit version? Thanks.
  • 2. Re: Need a release that works on Windows7/64 bit
    537206 Newbie
    Hi

I'm running 2.5.16 on Windows 7/64bit fine.

Your putDocument command is incorrect. You need to give the document you are trying to put into the db a name

dbxml> putDocument mydoc '<root/>' s

Document added, name = mydoc

good luck
  • 3. Re: Need a release that works on Windows7/64 bit
    945475 Newbie
    Hey, thanks for the response - I stopped watching this thread after hearing off-line that only release 2.6 would support 64bit. I tried altering my command to give a name, as you suggest and still no luck on Windows7-64bit:

dbxml> createcontainer demo.dbxml
    Creating node storage container

dbxml> putdocument demo_doc '<root/>'s
    stdin:2: putDocument failed, Error: Error: XML Indexer: Fatal Parse error in doc
    ument at line 1, char 1. Parser message: invalid document structure (Document: d
    emo_doc)

dbxml> putdocument demo_doc '<?xml version="1.0"?><root><child/></root>'s
    stdin:6: putDocument failed, Error: Error: XML Indexer: Fatal Parse error in doc
    ument at line 1, char 1. Parser message: invalid document structure (Document: d
    emo_doc)
  • 4. Re: Need a release that works on Windows7/64 bit
    945475 Newbie
    You know what? My bad!! I didn't have a space after the closing single-quote and the letter "s"! Duh!

dbxml> putDocument demo '<roo/>' s
    Document added, name = demo

I wonder why I was told that 64bit OS would only be supported with 2.6? Maybe he meant as a 64bit executable vs 32bit executable...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points