This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2012 6:00 AM by EdStevens RSS

Oracle Linux 5.8 on Virtual box

935905 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi ,
I have downloaded the Linux 5.8 dvd ( V31120-01.iso) and installed Virtual box on my windows 7.
Now after created a new machine setting and try to start it errors out
could not find kernel image: linux
boot:

I dont have any idea about how to fix this. Pls. help me.
Thanks,
  • 1. Re: Oracle Linux 5.8 on Virtual box
    Avi Miller Guru
    user780777 wrote:
    I have downloaded the Linux 5.8 dvd ( V31120-01.iso) and installed Virtual box on my windows 7.
    Sounds like something is wrong with the ISO you downloaded. Check the md5sum of the ISO you have against the MD5 you see when you click the "View Digests" button on E-Delivery. If they are different, download the ISO again.
  • 2. Re: Oracle Linux 5.8 on Virtual box
    935905 Newbie
    Hi Avi,
    I checked that everything is fine. Still getting error. Even i could see that in the below link also it is mentioned this iso cant be used directly . http://carsandcode.com/2012/07/29/how-to-get-the-oracle-linux-iso-from-oracles-software-delivery-cloud/

But he didnt mentioned solution. PLs. let me know whether we need to do any thing.
    Thanks,
  • 3. Re: Oracle Linux 5.8 on Virtual box
    Dude! Guru
    Please describe exactly what you are doing.

Are you selecting the .ISO file as the CD/DVD media to startup or did you burn it to DVD?
  • 4. Re: Oracle Linux 5.8 on Virtual box
    EdStevens Guru
    user780777 wrote:
    Hi Avi,
    I checked that everything is fine. Still getting error. Even i could see that in the below link also it is mentioned this iso cant be used directly . http://carsandcode.com/2012/07/29/how-to-get-the-oracle-linux-iso-from-oracles-software-delivery-cloud/
    Gee, you say that the links says "mentioned this iso *cant* be used directly " (emphasis mine). But I see just the opposite, where he says "Note that even though this is a DVD image that could be burned to DVD, there is no reason to do this as Virtual Box can use the file directly"

I use the iso directly all the time ... and I build a new vm under virtual box at least once a month.

>
    But he didnt mentioned solution. PLs. let me know whether we need to do any thing.
    Thanks,
    Well, we really don't know what you are doing now.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points