5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2012 2:27 AM by gimbal2 RSS

    HttpSession vs Cookie

    800839
      Hi,

      What is the difference between Session and Cookie apart from the session is a server object and cookie resides in the browser. When which should be used. Any examples are appreciated.

      Thanks.
        • 1. Re: HttpSession vs Cookie
          ramp
          <sigh> You really need a good servlet book
          • 2. Re: HttpSession vs Cookie
            gimbal2
            Why? Session and cookie are two concepts that are absolutely not specific to servlets at all. Any half-decent Google search will provide information about either in no time.

            And that's where I <sigh>. So much information at your fingertips and still you don't reach for it...



            EDIT: okay okay okay, I get it. You were taking the post history into account. Then I agree ;)
            • 3. Re: HttpSession vs Cookie
              DrClap
              gimbal2 wrote:
              EDIT: okay okay okay, I get it. You were taking the post history into account. Then I agree ;)
              No kidding. It's just a litany of bad practices. I counted half a dozen questions to which the answer was "Just don't do that".
              • 4. Re: HttpSession vs Cookie
                ramp
                gimbal2 wrote:
                Why? Session and cookie are two concepts that are absolutely not specific to servlets at all. Any half-decent Google search will provide information about either in no time.

                And that's where I <sigh>. So much information at your fingertips and still you don't reach for it...



                EDIT: okay okay okay, I get it. You were taking the post history into account. Then I agree ;)
                :), yes the OP is trying to learn servlets/jsp from scratch through this forum.
                • 5. Re: HttpSession vs Cookie
                  gimbal2
                  DrClap wrote:
                  gimbal2 wrote:
                  EDIT: okay okay okay, I get it. You were taking the post history into account. Then I agree ;)
                  No kidding. It's just a litany of bad practices. I counted half a dozen questions to which the answer was "Just don't do that".
                  Still, its nothing uncommon... And what is also not uncommon is that when you mention "Don't do that, do THIS in stead" the reply is "ha ha yeah that's much better, but can you show me my way anyway please?"...

                  I pose a question to my persistent and/or newly acquired brothers in arms who do not run away shaking their heads like so many before us (BalusC, Ceci, ...) - were you perhaps spanked as a child? There must be something common in our past that we like this sort of abuse.