This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2012 2:31 AM by vk82 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Oracle 11gR2 installation problem
    mseberg Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    OK then follow this step by step :

http://www.visi.com/~mseberg/installing_oracle_11g_r2_32.html

When you get to the bold piece marked "bashrc for the oracle user add to .bash_profile too" Sign on as Oracle and create both these profiles .bashrc and .bash_profile. ( Up to this point you can be root )

.bashrc and .bash_profile should live in your /home/oracle folder

Change these for your system's file structure :
    export ORACLE_BASE=/u01/app/oracle

export ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0
    Do All the steps below as the oracle user who owns the software.

At the end of the install it will prompt you to run two scripts as root. Do these in a different terminal as root.

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 16. Re: Oracle 11gR2 installation problem
    Dude! Guru
    In order to install Oracle database you need to login as the Oracle user. You can use "su - oracle" as root, but don't use "su oracle" or "su oracle -", which have a different meaning.

It is usually the easiest or best to use "ssh -X oracle@hostname", which also eliminates the need for setting any X DISPLAY variable or use legacy xhost authentication. SSH is more common when doing a remote connection, but it works just a s well on a local machine, e.g. "ssh -X oracle@localhost"

If you get a bash prompt, it means you have some trouble with your startup profile. You can check the profile processing by logging in as the desired user (oracle) and "$SHELL -lx" at the command prompt.

In order to set your Oracle environment, login as user oracle and type "source oraenv" followed by the SID name. This way you don't have to modify your profile files and can use whatever is default, or copy a fresh new profile from /etc/skel directory.
  • 17. Re: Oracle 11gR2 installation problem
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    Moderator Action:
    This was originally posted to the Linux forum.
    This thread has nothing to do with an OS issue. This has everything to do with reading the application's documentation (in other words, for your database program) and leearning how to install and run your application.

This thread is now moved to the Database Installation forum, where it probably should have been all along.
  • 18. Re: Oracle 11gR2 installation problem
    sb92075 Guru
    ssh -X oracle@DB_Server

then post results of following OS commands

id
    sort | env
  • 19. Re: Oracle 11gR2 installation problem
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    rukbat wrote:
    Moderator Action:
    This was originally posted to the Linux forum.
    This thread has nothing to do with an OS issue. This has everything to do with reading the application's documentation (in other words, for your database program) and leearning how to install and run your application.

This thread is now moved to the Database Installation forum, where it probably should have been all along.
    Pl see my post above ;-)

Srini
  • 20. Re: Oracle 11gR2 installation problem
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    Srini,
    The thread seems to have devolvved further. The O.P. jusr doesn't seem skilled enough to do anything such as (perhaps) reading installation documentation, nor skilled enough with their OS of choice.

They're beyond their skill level on all of this and may just need to have someone else in their organization take over this task. Though if they're just doing this at home, on their own, they might just need to spend more time acquiring computer skills instead of jumping into this.

I still maintain that the issue is with "how do I install an application to the OS that happens to be on such-and-such computer", so it may need to stay in thte database installation forum.

Tell ya' what, Srini. It's your call. You touched it before I did.
  • 21. Re: Oracle 11gR2 installation problem
    mseberg Guru
    Srini and Rukbat;

Thanks for your help. I was hoping not to stir the pot on this.

But my take on this is the main topic is "Installation", the OS piece is just a component of this.

I understand why this got moved from "General" to "Installation".

But the OP is having plenty of trouble without chasing question itself from forum to forum.

I doubt this is easy to do or decide.

But I would consider what is the "Main Topic" of the question before moving.

I see where this happens. An OP is trying to RMAN Duplicate for Data Guard, which forum? In that case I'd probably let the OP decide.

In any event I believe the simple thing is just less.

Thanks again to both of you for your help.

mseberg
  • 22. Re: Oracle 11gR2 installation problem (now an OS pre-req issue)
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    rukbat and mseberg

Thanks for your support - agree that this thread is messed up, to say the least. ;-)

Last update above shows that OP is unable to log in to an RHEL Unix account (just happens to be "oracle" in this case) - which has nothing to do with an Oracle database install - and everything to do with OS configuration (or misconfiguration) - hence I moved it to the General Linux forum even though the title of the thread is now misleading. Once this OS issue is fixed, OP can attempt a database install and post a new thread in the Database Installation forum to address issues related to the install, if any

Hope this makes sense to all :-)

Srini

(Moving it back to the Generic Linux forum)
  • 23. Re: Oracle 11gR2 installation problem
    Dude! Guru
    After that i remove the Oracle software by deleting Oracle directory and try to install Oracle again but now whenever i am login as oracle user from root user i am getting bash prompt
    I think the Generic Linux forum is correct. Reading the initial post again, probably what happened is that the OP deleted the Oracle installation and the hidden files in the Oracle User home directory. Perhaps the OP used the Oracle user's home directory also as the ORACLE_HOME directory (which was not a good idea).

I suggest the user copies a fresh set of profile files (hidden .files) form /etc/skel or simply deletes and recreates the Oracle user account.

The user will need to re-install Oracle 11g, either use the unistaller, or remove the ORACLE_BASE directory, including /etc/oratab and /opt/oracle and restart the system.

Assuming that all the prerequisite system software has been installed:

<pre>
    ssh -X oracle@locahost
    /path_to_install_media/runInstaller
    </pre>

Then after the installation to set the Oracle environment, use the oraenv utility as previous outlined.

If the OP has trouble with the OS and software, install Oracle Linux 5.8, setup public yum and install the "oracle-validated" package to do all the software and setup prerequisites.
  • 24. Oracle 11gR2 installation problem
    vk82 Explorer
    Thanks all Guru's for your kind help,

The problem is sorted out as what i do is remove the oracle user and all groups from my machine and recreate oracle user and all necessary groups.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points