This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2012 8:54 AM by kgronau RSS

Does the Oracle Gateway for ODBC come pre-installed witn OracleXE 11.2?

tx103108 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
CentOS 6.2 64-bit
Oracle XE 11.2 64-bit

Does the Oracle Gateway for ODBC come pre-installed with OracleXE 11.2?
If not, where do I get such software and how do I installed it?
(I am used to using the SE and EE edtions of the database more so that XE).

Cheers!
  • 1. Re: Does the Oracle Gateway for ODBC come pre-installed witn OracleXE 11.2?
    kgronau Guru
    I don't have an Oracle XE installation to check... but you can verify if it is installed or not very easy. Just look at the ORACLE_HOME/bin directory if there's an executable called dg4odbc. If there's one it is installed by default. If not you need to download the gateway software from OTN: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/112010-linx8664soft-100572.html
    Then install the software into ist own Oracle_Home directory, different from the XE installation.
    Please be aware that DG4ODBC would also require a 3rd party ODBC driver and a 3rd party ODBC Driver Manager.
  • 2. Re: Does the Oracle Gateway for ODBC come pre-installed witn OracleXE 11.2?
    tx103108 Newbie
    Your response was very helpful. One clarification I need:
    You mentioned installing the Gateway into its own Oracle home directory. Currently the Oracle XE database is in /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/xe.
    When you say 'install the gateway in its own Oracle home are you suggestion something on the order of /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/hg? Or something more divergent (/u02/app/oracle/hg)?
    In other words, is it sufficient just to install the gateway in a new subdirectory of the existing Oracle home directory tree or somewhere vastly different?

(I do already have the 3rd party ODBC drivers/driver mgr but thanks for mentioning that for future readers of this thread).

Thanks in advance.
  • 3. Re: Does the Oracle Gateway for ODBC come pre-installed witn OracleXE 11.2?
    kgronau Guru
    The directory needs to be different from your xe durectory /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/xe. Use a meaningful name like /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/gtw - just another subtree is sufficient.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points