This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 7, 2012 12:26 AM by Girish Sharma RSS

Object Privilege!

asif.maqbool Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

Which type of privileges DBA need to assign an object privilege from one user to another user?

I login system/manager@student and tried to assign object privilege of Scott table EMP to newly created user ASIF but I got a "Insufficient Privilege" error.
I am using following command for this purpose.

grant select on scott.emp to asif;

It would be great if anyone answer me.

Thanks.
Asif
  • 1. Re: Object Privilege!
    sybrand_b Guru
    The answer is version dependent, and you failed to specify a four digit version.
    If you want someone else to look up the documentation on the GRANT command for free on your behalf, you would at need least to specify a four digit version.
    On the other hand, to ask someone to do your documentation searches must be considered insulting and rude,

----------
    Sybrand Bakker
    Senior Oracle DBA
  • 2. Re: Object Privilege!
    asif.maqbool Newbie
    I'm using Oracle8i and Windows XP.
  • 3. Re: Object Privilege!
    sybrand_b Guru
    In Oracle 8i only the owner of the object is capable of making grants.
    There is a workaround to this, published on http://asktom.oracle.com and I leave it for you as an exercise to find it. The workaround consists of a severe security breach.

-----------
    Sybrand Bakker
    Senior Oracle DBA
  • 4. Re: Object Privilege!
    Helios-GunesEROL Oracle ACE
    Hi;
    I'm using Oracle8i and Windows XP.
    You are workin on desupported version. Please schedule to upgrade your db to 11.2.0.x version.

For grant revoke privilege you can make some googling and can find many usefull docs

PS:Please dont forget to change thread status to answered if it possible when u belive your thread has been answered, it pretend to lose time of other forums user while they are searching open question which is not answered,thanks for understanding

Regard
    Helios
  • 5. Re: Object Privilege!
    Girish Sharma Guru
    In Oracle 8i only the owner of the object is capable of making grants.
    Since I never used Oracle 8i, just wish to ask you question that even is SYS not able to grant object privilege to other users ?

I shall be thankful to you for your reply, just hope if OP able to grant privilege by SYS user (if it applicable in 8i though)

Thank you.

Regards
    Girish Sharma

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points