7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2012 1:25 AM by 845542 RSS

Sending Notification to workflow users when task created

Hi Experts,

How the notification will be sent to the receipent when the task gets created in BPM Workilst app. do we need to configure the workflow users anywhere.

FYI...
      I have configured the email address in weblogic enterprise manager but i am not getting any mail when the task gets created. I'm having sample workflow users inside my weblogic console but those are not having mail Ids to receive the mail.

If anybody had gone through this requirement please specify the steps how and where to do the configuration.

As it is very urgent if possible please reply ASAP.

you help is highly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
      CH
        • 1. Re: Sending Notification to workflow users when task created
          Ravi Jegga
          Hi
          1. First configure email driver settings from EM Console like email smtp host, port, id and a valid email id to receive the actions performed on the task from email. If I am not wrong, even if you do not configure this, still you should get emails. These settings are needed only for Actionable Emails.
          2. NOW the main thing is each User should and must have a valid email address as one of his property. So if you use sample users from demo community seed like jcooper, jstein, wfault etc, they have email ids like jcooper@example.com and this will NOT work. So modify the email properties of each user to a valid id like give your own working email id. This means you had to modify demo community war file and edit demo-community-seed.xml file etc.
          3. Either way, users should have a valid email address. When these users are assigned to the task, and when task is assigned to them, they will get email.
          4. NOW to make Emails actionable, means from Email itself, I can see full payload data and also see action buttons like Approve, Reject etc if any. And I can literally click on these buttons and act on this Task. For this to work, you need to open your .task file in JDeveloper and go to section named Notifications and enable the check box named "make notification actionable".

The main point is each user should have valid mail id configured. If not, they will NOT get emails. For testing, usually I give my own working email id from my company and couple of my colleagues ids. When they get emails, they tell me and I know email is working fine.

Thanks
          Ravi Jegga
          • 2. Re: Sending Notification to workflow users when task created
            Hi Ravi,

Thanks a lot ravi for such a wonderful reply. Please can you guide me where to mention the other users along with there mailIds in weblogic enterprise maner or else change any of the file or else do we need to configure the users inside any file and need to deploy the application once again.

do i need to check the notification settings actionable checkbox selected and deploy the application once again.

Once again thanks a lot Ravi

Regards,
            CH
            • 3. Re: Sending Notification to workflow users when task created
              Ravi Jegga
              Hi
              Which user are you using. Are you using demo community seed users like jcooper, jstein etc. OR r u using your own created users from weblogic console.

Thanks
              Ravi Jegga
              • 4. Re: Sending Notification to workflow users when task created
                Hi Ravi,

I have created a user called gardner and i need to sent a notificatio to his mail like gardner@yahoo.co.in. Can you guide me where i need to create the users
                and how can i send the notification to his mail id when the task gets created in BPM worklist app.

Regards,
                CH
                • 5. Re: Sending Notification to workflow users when task created
                  Ravi Jegga
                  Hi
                  Please refer my above reply. There is no special settings required. All you do is just set this mail id to that user. Go to weblogic console. Select your security realm and click on your user gardener. click on attributes tab, click next and go to mail property. click on that value and enter the mail id and hit keyboard enter and save the value. Verify that the value is there.
                  When a task is assigned to him, he should get an email. To make this actionable, you had to do some Extra real email settings since the action should come back to valid mail id and update the task.
                  See my old post.

Thanks
                  Ravi Jegga
                  • 6. Re: Sending Notification to workflow users when task created
                    Hi,
                    I have configured james email server in my localhost to test the actionable email.
                    In james,
                    i have the below users
                    bpelinbox,
                    bpelsender

have configured the James to use the server name emailExample.com by editing the file apps/james/SAR-INF/config.xml

Added 127.0.0.1 emailExample.com in host entry.

I ahve set my actionable email as bpelinbox@emailExample.com

and also have set the

IncomingMailServer --> emailExample.com
                    IncomingMailServerPort --> 110
                    IncomingMailIDs --> bpelinbox@emailExample.com
                    IncomingUserIDs --> bpelinbox

Outgoing mail server --> emailExample.com
                    Outgoing mail id --> bpelsender@emailExample.com
                    outgoing port --> 25

But when i create the task, the user gets an email along with the APPROVE, REJECT link.
                    When i try to take action on the APPROVE/REJECT, another email is sent out to the actionable address i.e to bpelinbox@emailExample.com

But nothing is processed and no action is taken on the task.

What could be wrong..? i am confused . Please give me an insight in this.

Thanks..
                    • 7. Re: Sending Notification to workflow users when task created
                      Hi Ravi,

Actually i have configured the mail id the way you have guided me but thing I'm not able to send the notification to the requestor when the request is being
                      routed to an approver, wherein i have checked the Make notification actionable and configured the mail address in the attributes of user and groups in weblogic console.

So the question how can i send the notification to the requestor when the request is being routed to an approver and by checking Make Notificatin actionable i am not seeing any changes.

FYI i ahve not configured any

Incoming or Outgoing mail Addresses or Id's.

Pretty much confused at this state.

Can you guide me is that it is important to configure Outgoing and Incoming Mail addresses and Id's.

and how to sent the notification to the requestor when the request is being routed to an approved upon configuration.

I Really thanks you. your help is heighly appreciated.

Regards,
                      CH