This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2012 4:41 PM by dsurber RSS

APIDOC for oracle.sql...

929890 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Where can I find/download the ZIP/JAR files containing the soruce and/or the apidoc for the oracle.sql. classes/Oracle's JDBC driver? I am using 11gR2.

Thank you.
  • 1. Re: APIDOC for oracle.sql...
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    Where can I find/download the ZIP/JAR files containing the soruce and/or the apidoc for the oracle.sql. classes/Oracle's JDBC driver? I am using 11gR2.
    >
    As far as I know source code is not available. The oracle driver implements the standard so the Javadocs of your JDK cover the bulk of the api that is available.

Oracle does provide the JDBC Developer's Guide which discusses the Oracle extensions and features and has example code
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E14072_01/java.112/e10589/toc.htm

Here is the official Oracle JDBC page that shows the Oracle DB versions supported for each of the JDBC drivers available and also describes the JDBC jars and what JDK versions they support.
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/jdbc-faq-090281.html#02_01

The various JDBC jar files and supporting files are available via link on that page but no source code.

Do you have a speciifc need or problem you need help with?
  • 2. Re: APIDOC for oracle.sql...
    929890 Newbie
    I just wanted to use the apidoc (sources) within Eclipse to get more information from within the IDE while developing.

Eg. currently I am struggling in "copying" a Blob object:
    I want to read the Blob object with help of XMLStreamReader and write it with XMLStreamWriter to finally create another Blob object. It works but when I try to access this copy I get an ORA-22275 (Invalid LOB locator).
    Any idea?
  • 3. Re: APIDOC for oracle.sql...
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    Eg. currently I am struggling in "copying" a Blob object:
    I want to read the Blob object with help of XMLStreamReader and write it with XMLStreamWriter to finally create another Blob object. It works but when I try to access this copy I get an ORA-22275 (Invalid LOB locator).
    Any idea?
    >
    Unless you post the code you are using there is no way to provide specific suggestions.

When you work with BLOBs and CLOBS you have to use a locator. The most common mistake I see is a developer trying to write a new BLOB/CLOB to a table column without creating the locator first. Since you haven't posted any code I have no way of knowing what you are actually doing or what steps you are taking to try to do it.

The typical way to write a new BLOB/CLOB to a new row is to first create (INSERT) the row and use EMPTY_CLOB() to create the LOB locator.

Then you retrieve the locator from the table and use the locator to populate the LOB.

See Creating and Populating a BLOB or CLOB Column in the JDBC Developer's Guide
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/java.102/b14355/oralob.htm#i1058044

Then just below that section is an example Populating a BLOB or CLOB Column in a New Table
  • 4. Re: APIDOC for oracle.sql...
    929890 Newbie
    Well, of course I did the same mistake you mentioned: I tried to creaet a Blob in my application with a Java statement.

APIDOC:
    I couldn't find any donwloadable ZIP/JAR containing the javadoc to embed in Eclipse. :( It seems as if there are only online javadocs available. Could that be??
  • 5. Re: APIDOC for oracle.sql...
    dsurber Explorer
    If you download the drivers from OTN, the JavaDocs are in the bundle. Look in the demo directory.

The source is not available. Oracle JDBC is NOT an open source project.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points