6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2012 9:05 AM by User447797-OC RSS

OPatch Automation for GI

User447797-OC
      we are having 11.2.0.2 RAC Database on 3 node cluster. OS : RHEL 5.6

when OPatch auto is used to apply patch do we need to stop all the instances on the node and the cluster or auto command will automatically stop and start all the processes running from ORACLE_HOME
        • 1. Re: OPatch Automation for GI
          sybrand_b
          Consult the 'rolling upgrade' concept of which Opatch is capable. Instances, in this mode, will be upgraded one by one, and the other instances will continue to function.

----------
          Sybrand Bakker
          Senior Oracle DBA
          • 2. Re: OPatch Automation for GI
            vlethakula
            opatch auto will take care, please refer:
            http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B16240_01/doc/em.102/e15294/options.htm

auto Command
            ----------------------------
            Ordinarily, a Clusterware patch requires several manual steps before and after you apply the patch, such as:

Stopping all dependent databases

Stopping Clusterware resources

Running pre-patch scripts

Shutting down Clusterware

Running post-patch scripts

Starting Clusterware and dependent databases

The opatch auto command automates all of these tasks for patching the CRS home and all other applicable RDBMS homes.
            • 3. Re: OPatch Automation for GI
              User447797-OC
              Hi Sybrand

Thanks for the reply.

1) Could you please let me know how much space is required in the directory that hosts the patch.we are planning to apply GI PSU 7 for 11.2.0.2. My staging directory has 6GB of space. Is it enough or do i need more.
              • 4. Re: OPatch Automation for GI
                User447797-OC
                Hi

I read the article. Perhaps still unclear, I am trying to apply GI PSU which includes DB PSU. So with opatch auto, does it stop all the instances,listener,dbconsole on that node and all the clusterware of the node. And automatically restarts everything???
                • 5. Re: OPatch Automation for GI
                  onedbguru
                  951368 wrote:
                  Hi

I read the article. Perhaps still unclear, I am trying to apply GI PSU which includes DB PSU. So with opatch auto, does it stop all the instances,listener,dbconsole on that node and all the clusterware of the node. And automatically restarts everything???
                  It will do a ROLLING upgrade - you execute the opatch auto on each node -one at a time. and yes it does everything needed to do the install. And it works great!!
                  • 6. Re: OPatch Automation for GI
                    User447797-OC
                    Hello

Yes opatch auto will take care of everything. You just need to stop emagent or dbconsole.