Currently Being Moderated
Why are some threads locked?
  • 1. Re: Lock threads
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    Kirill.Babeyev wrote:
    Why are some threads locked?
    It depends.

Could be that people are going way off-topic unnecessarily, though usually those threads just run their course and die naturally.
    Could be that someone has dragged up an old thread unnecessarily rather than starting their own thread to ask their question.
    Could be that someone has dragged up an old thread to answer it, when the answer is no longer necessary.
    Could be that someone has posted a duplicate of their question in multiple threads (and possibly across multiple forums).
    Could be an on-forum article written to help people, and doesn't need answers posting on it.
    etc.

Why what problem are you experiencing?
  • 2. Re: Lock threads
    929328 Newbie
    I answered a question at database security and then the thread was locked.
    What to do?
  • 3. Re: Lock threads
    Karthick_Arp Guru
    Kirill.Babeyev wrote:
    I answered a question at database security and then the thread was locked.
    What to do?
    It would be better if you post the link of the thread that you are talking about so that the moderators can help you.
  • 5. Re: Lock threads
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    can't see a reason from taking a quick look, though it could be that some moderator or admin determined that the OP had duplicated their question.

Whenever I lock threads I usually put a message on the thread to indicate that I'm locking it and why (unless someone else has already posted to state it's a duplicate etc.)

Not sure which moderator hangs around in that forum, so not sure who locked it or why.
  • 6. Re: Lock threads
    jgarry Guru
    Might be because it is a linux question in a database forum, as I think someone pointed out in a duplicate thread, though I think it was perhaps appropriate there in security.

All the moderators might keep in mind, just because they can lock something doesn't mean they should. It's easy to want to keep the fora clean and spotless, but we might want to take a lesson from Justin (whether he meant to teach it, or was just really busy), that minimal interference by the benevolent despotism is a Good Thing ™.
  • 7. Re: Lock threads
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    jgarry wrote:
    All the moderators might keep in mind, just because they can lock something doesn't mean they should. It's easy to want to keep the fora clean and spotless, but we might want to take a lesson from Justin (whether he meant to teach it, or was just really busy), that minimal interference by the benevolent despotism is a Good Thing ™.
    Agree.
    I often rely on the peer responses to get a thread on track or make the point to the OP's. Sometimes though, it's just necessary to lock for the sanity of the forum. :)

Example from yesterday (and not something that happens often) : {thread:id=2424033}
  • 8. Re: Lock threads
    jgarry Guru
    lol

Extra funny to me personally because the promos code I have to work on is some of the most crazy-making in the whole ERP.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points