1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2012 6:09 PM by Dude! Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Recent (July 2012) article about Oracle Linux on slashdot
        I think price and availability will continue to play an important role in the future, in particular for the major parts of the world. I wonder however how the trend of the text user interface for enterprise Linux and the current developments of graphical desktop environments for Linux will be received in the future.

Linux and Microsoft fall relatively short regarding inventions. It is not difficult to find out who made major inventions in computer technology in the past. Unfortunately some of these corporations do no longer exist. In my opinion the most visible trendsetter and entrepreneur for the last 12 years was Apple. We will probably have to see what will happen to HP Unix and other systems that rely on the Titanium platform, but I think the current development will be in favor of Enterprise Linux.

Edited by: Dude on Aug 9, 2012 2:46 AM
        • 16. Re: Recent (July 2012) article about Oracle Linux on slashdot
          Apple!? You've got to be kidding. Do not confuse bling with innovation.
          • 17. Re: Recent (July 2012) article about Oracle Linux on slashdot
            Certain information is often from the same source and people draw a conclusion based on information taken out of context, sensational reporting, or news which is inadvertently biased. This is nothing new and widely known about political content, but it also applies to technology. Apple has always either been admired by the users or belittled by competitors. Unfortunately, many people, once they have come to a certain conclusion stop re-investigating. All computer companies have to deal with negative prejudgment, including Oracle and Microsoft.

There is certainly more visible bling around Apple than in the past, which I also find rather amusing. Nevertheless, I can give you numerous examples where Apple excels and sets standards for others. I sometimes wonder how people can work with the tools they have. There are many things you don't find in the news or magazines about Mac OS X or Apple hardware. However, I'm afraid the moderator might lock this tread if go into more details because it certainly is beyond the forum topic.

Regarding Oracle database products I cannot see any better OS alternative that looks more promising about future support and development than Oracle Linux. According to my experience, supporting Oracle database in a Windows environment is more complex and more difficult to troubleshoot. That's not necessarily because of the Windows OS, but because of the surrounding environment that Windows requires to run in a corporate setup. The future of commercial Unix systems looks rather grim, in particular since Oracle and other software vendors stopped support for the Titanium platform already.

Edited by: Dude on Aug 10, 2012 3:12 PM
            1 2 Previous Next