This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2012 8:29 AM by 858158 RSS

signed applet ad hoc failure

858158 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello
I have an applet that is fully signed and accepted by the client. The client can, through Javascript call some methods but on a critical method that opens a local file dialog box it just stops. Absolutely nothing, not diagnostic, not security, I enabled tracing and logging and nothing. I put in Log4j commands and they just stop. Works on WinXP. I believe it may be a io permission, though never any error.

If file io permission(a) how to I manually set it for this internal use and (b) how do I set it for distribution to be accepted from the user. Is there some setting in the applet that I must configure to allow the client to accept file open without local explicit machine-by-machine configuration. This is an Intranet app and proof of concept for now. TIA.
  • 1. Re: signed applet ad hoc failure
    EJP Guru
    Have a look in the Java Console for what is displayed when the problem occurs, and post it here.
  • 2. Re: signed applet ad hoc failure
    858158 Newbie
    Hi
    Thanks, but that is the problem there is nothing. Below is the code that, perversely, works on WinXPP client/host and fails on W2000 Srv and W2003 Srv client/host with the exact same minimal 6.0.33 JRE and nothing different in the policy files than on the WinXPP. I hope I can stay with this to find out deterministically why as it violates everything I thought I knew and demonstrated empirically.

public String openFile(boolean development, String param00) {
    File path = new File(param00);
    JFileChooser chooser = new JFileChooser(path);
    ExampleFileFilter filter = new ExampleFileFilter();
    filter.addExtension("csv");
    filter.addExtension("xls");
    filter.addExtension("zip");
    filter.setDescription("CSV & XLS Spreadsheet Files");
    chooser.setFileFilter(filter);
    int returnVal = chooser.showOpenDialog(null);
    if (returnVal == JFileChooser.APPROVE_OPTION) {
    System.out.println("You chose to open this file: " +
    chooser.getSelectedFile().getName());
    }
    return chooser.getSelectedFile().getAbsolutePath();
    }
  • 3. Re: signed applet ad hoc failure
    858158 Newbie
    Parameter problem. Sorry for the clutter.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points