1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2012 6:56 AM by rukbat Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Enlarge boot
        Catch-22
        Sorry, I don't understand what the Xen kernel has to do with your accounting package?

Xen is a Hypervisor providing services that allow multiple computer operating systems to execute on the same computer hardware concurrently. If you are using Virtualbox or VMware and run Linux as a guest OS, do not use a XEN kernel. The same applies when you use the XEN kernel as a standalone system. It can really cap system performance.

Using yum to remove an obsolete kernel is the proper way, but I guess it will also require to explain to you how to do that. You can query the package names and use yum to remove a kernel, for instance:

<pre>
        rpm -qa kernel*
        yum remove kernel-2.6.18-308.1.1.0.1.el5PAE
        </pre>

Be careful when removing a kernel package that it only removes the kernel and not any other software dependency that you may need to run your stuff, e.g. oracle-validated.
        • 16. Re: Enlarge boot
          Avi Miller-Oracle
          Dude wrote:
          Sorry, I don't understand what the Xen kernel has to do with your accounting package?
          The xen kernel variant of the 2.6.18 series is the Xen PVM guest kernel. It is required to run a 2.6.18 kernel as a paravirtualized guest on a Xen hypervisor, e.g. Oracle VM. In this instance, this server is probably running as a guest of Oracle VM (or some other Xen variant).
          • 17. Re: Enlarge boot
            HuaMin Chen
            Dude wrote:

Be careful when removing a kernel package that it only removes the kernel and not any other software dependency that you may need to run your stuff, e.g. oracle-validated.
            Thanks a lot to all.

Dude,
            Even if I've removed one kernel, I can restore that immediately once I've got any kernel-related issues with Oracle packages, right?

Edited by: HuaMin Chen on Aug 8, 2012 4:25 PM
            • 18. Re: Enlarge boot
              Catch-22
              Avi Miller wrote:
              Dude wrote:
              The xen kernel variant of the 2.6.18 series is the Xen PVM guest kernel. It is required to run a 2.6.18 kernel as a paravirtualized guest on a Xen hypervisor, e.g. Oracle VM. In this instance, this server is probably running as a guest of Oracle VM (or some other Xen variant).
              That's what I was trying to find out, because I have seen previous posts of the OP with questions about Virtualbox, e.g.
              Should I choose the source?
              Re: Virtualbox
              • 19. Re: Enlarge boot
                Catch-22
                HuaMin Chen wrote:
                >
                Even if I've removed one kernel, I can restore that immediately once I've got any kernel-related issues with Oracle packages, right?
                It should not be an issue unless you start to remove the last kernel version of a certain kind. So please tell us, are you using Virtualbox or what is your system environment?
                • 20. Re: Enlarge boot
                  HuaMin Chen
                  Dude wrote:

It should not be an issue unless you start to remove the last kernel version of a certain kind. So please tell us, are you using Virtualbox or what is your system environment?
                  Good day all,
                  Dude,
                  Yes, such OL does resides in VirtualBox.

Many Thanks & Best Regards,
                  HuaMin
                  • 21. Re: Enlarge boot
                    Avi Miller-Oracle
                    HuaMin Chen wrote:
                    Yes, such OL does resides in VirtualBox.
                    Then you should be running the normal or PAE kernel, NOT the xen kernel.
                    • 22. Re: Enlarge boot
                      Catch-22
                      If I remember correctly, unless you have 64-bit OS with Virtualbox, your memory for the guest will be limited to 3.5 GB, in which case you will not benefit from the PAE kernel. Also if you run x86_64 Linux, you do not need PAE kernel. I suggest you run the default kernel, which is Oracle Linux UEK kernel.
                      • 23. Re: Enlarge boot
                        HuaMin Chen
                        Thanks a lot to all.
                        Avi/Dude,
                        I do remember I used Xen kernel due to "some issues" encountered some days ago, which I can't clearly recall and by Xen kernel everything has already been fine for some time for Oracle R12/Solaris c++. Do you think I can also continue to use that?

HuaMin

Edited by: HuaMin Chen on Aug 9, 2012 11:37 AM
                        • 24. Re: Enlarge boot
                          Catch-22
                          Do not try to use VirtualBox with a Xen kernel, nor to install a Xen kernel in a Guest OS. What do you mean by "Oracle R12/Solaris c++"?
                          • 25. Re: Enlarge boot
                            HuaMin Chen
                            The former is the accounting package, the latter C++ app tool. Really I got no issues to use Xen for the past months. What will be the issues to use Xen in Virtualbox?

HuaMin

Edited by: HuaMin Chen on Aug 9, 2012 5:06 PM
                            • 26. Re: Enlarge boot
                              Catch-22
                              HuaMin Chen wrote:
                              The former is the accounting package, the latter C++ app tool. Really I got no issues for the past months. What will be the issues using Xen in Virtualbox?
                              That I understood, but I did not understand where to put "Solaris" in this context.

If you ran into some error, you will need to provide the details.

Why you should not use XEN in virtualbox?

VirtualBox is a "hosted" type 2 hypervisor. The Xen kernel is a Type 1 hypervisor, which is designed to be installed on a "bare-metal" machine. Xen will run inside of VirtualBox, but you will be able to use the virtualiation features of the CPU with a nested guest OS.

None of the virtualization technologies are designed for nesting, so you are not going to get any value out of your configuration. Instead, you may rather experience bad performance, random crashes, etc.

You can for instance not install the Virtualbox Guest additions under Xen - your system should crash.
                              • 27. Re: Enlarge boot
                                rukbat
                                Moderator Comment and Action:
                                This thread has wandered far from the original question, which has sufficient responses to be considered "answered".

The thread is now locked before it gets so convoluted that it becomes a useless forum entry.

@ HuaMin,
                                Your VirtualBox questions have nothing to do with your original question of boot slice capacity. I suggest you go find a VirtualBox forum and ask your questions over there.
                                Try here: https://forums.virtualbox.org/
                                1 2 Previous Next