This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2012 10:15 AM by msrping RSS

Can I install two versions of SOA suite using same Oracle database

msrping Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Condition:
I installed Weblogic server(10.3.5) and SOA Suite(11.1.1.5), and
I used RCU 11.1.1.5 to create the schemas(Oracle DB 11g-111170) for it.

Plan:
Now I plan to install another Weblogic server(10.3.6) and SOA Suite (11.1.1.6)
and I will used RCU 11.1.1.6 to create the schemas for it.

Question:
Can I use same database(Oracle DB 11g-111170) for the two versions of SOA Suite? that is
Can I Run the RCU 11.1.1.6 to create the schemas for SOA Suite (11.1.1.6) on the oracle database server I already used for SOA Suite 11.1.1.5?
If I can use same database for the two versions of SOA Suite, how can I resolve schame name conflict?
  • 1. Re: Can I install two versions of SOA suite using same Oracle database
    RaviJegga Expert
    Hi
    1. YES. You can absolutely use SAME DB to have multiple Versions of SOA Schemas.

2. Any SOA/BPM will need basically 4/5 schemas like SOAINFRA, MDS, ORABAM, ORASDPM etc. based on what you choose. And each of these Schemas can be Prefixed. Default prefix is like DEV, so schemas are like DEV_SOAINFRA, DEV_MDS etc

3. Very Simple. When you Run RCU 11.6 and give the same old db details, in next screen it will automatically show the new Prefix for the schemas it will create. If DEV is used, it will show DEV1 like that. So just choose a Different Prefix and you are good to go.

I have the same thing on my side. Single Database. Multiple RCU for SOA 11.5 and SOA 11.6 with different Prefixes:
    SOA 11.5 -> DEV115_SOAINFRA, DEV115_MDS, DEV115_ORABAM etc
    SOA 11.6 -> DEV116_SOAINFRA, DEV116_MDS, DEV116_ORABAM etc

I Used the Prefixes like DEV115, DEV116 so that I know exactly which version of RCU schema they refer to.

For QC, UAT, PROD we used prefixes like QC_*, UAT_*, PROD_* etc.

NOTE: When you drop the schemas for some reason, make sure to give the appropriate prefixes so that only they are dropped and not others.

Thanks
    Ravi Jegga
  • 2. Re: Can I install two versions of SOA suite using same Oracle database
    Amy Childress-Oracle Explorer
    When you create the schemas using RCU you are able to select a unique prefix for the schema.

For instance, DEV_SOAINFRA.

I use a prefix convention that's a bit more descriptive for my test box, which currently has five 11g SOA/OSB installs all using the same database for the schemas.

For example,
    PS3_SOAINFRA
    PS4_SOAINFRA
    PS5_SOAINFRA
    11GDEV_SOAINFRA
    OSB_SOAINFRA

Since my installs are purely for testing on specific versions and install types - this convention works for me.
    In a similar way, you could choose unique prefixes for your schemas which would allow you to have multiple SOA installs using the same database for the schemas.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points