This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2012 8:54 AM by 593326 RSS

Sunfire V120 will not recognize KB

954874 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We have a Sunfire V120 (VT120?) that was headless and couldn't log in (root password issue of course).

So ordered and installed a video card and reinstalled the OS - BTW this Solaris 8, not 9.
It reinstalled fine and now it boots up to the login prompt - command line.

But when we try to enter password, it recognizes nothing - like it is not seeing the KB. Video OK however.

Tried to ctl-brk right after the post and nothing there either.
Obtained a Solaris KB from another system and tried it - same results - also tried "Stop A" as seen in other posts. Nothing.

So, then tried to reinstall again and it does not even recognize the CD drive and always boots from the disk.

Before we remove the drive and format it, would anyone have any suggestions as to how to bring this thing back from the dead?

Please.......!!!

And.... if all fails, and have to remove drive to another system (would be Solaris 10), is there any special things to do in order to reformat
the drive??

Thanks,

JimI
  • 1. Re: Sunfire V120 will not recognize KB
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    Did you change the default OBP settings for input-device and output-device so as to have the system expect to deal with a keyboard? It's been a while (and I choose to not go read the system documentation ) but I think the defaults are for the LOM to be the system console, ignoring everything else.

The system will not spontaneously use such peripherals just because you may have plugged them in.
  • 2. Re: Sunfire V120 will not recognize KB
    954874 Newbie
    OK, thanks.

So now I know we screwed up when reinstalling.
    Any ideas on fixing it. Maybe a probe on system board or something like that?
    Am reading thru the doc you referenced - the Server user guide.

BTW, have also tried to connect using a serial terminal and nothing there either.

Thanks,

Jim
  • 3. Re: Sunfire V120 will not recognize KB
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    951871 wrote:
    BTW, have also tried to connect using a serial terminal and nothing there either.
    A serial connection, whether it be to the LOM port or to the TTYa port is your only recourse.

Keep in mind that you need to establish a two-way path along that cable, thus a null adapter has to be inline. "Send" from the external computer will then go to "Receive" at the V120 and vice versa. A straight through serial cable will never succeed.

If that other system you are using to connect to the V120 happens to be a MS Win system, you can use Hyperterminal but TeraTerm is just so much better. Old, crude, but it just works. It even has a built-in clickable Stop-A equivalent. The same old version from the 1990's runs just fine on Win9x through WinXP -- had no occasion to try it on anything newer than XP.

I suggest you check everything with the graphics card removed and no USB keyboard. Get comfortable with a successful serial connection. Prove to yourself that you can administer the box as it was originally designed. You can make your OBP changes to "keyboard" and to "screen" after that.
  • 4. Re: Sunfire V120 will not recognize KB
    954874 Newbie
    Thanks, I was using minicom on Linux thru my USB port with the serial w/null modem cable as my serial - well versed in serial. Funny, hyperterm is not on my WinXP, so will try to grab the one you mention. I am still going thru the user guide and saw reference to the LOM.
    More to think about.

Reformatting disk is my very last option, not my next. I only go in physically to work once a week (nice life) so this is slow going.

Thanks,

Jim
  • 5. Re: Sunfire V120 will not recognize KB
    bobthesungeek76036 Pro
    PuTTY has a serial interface as well. It works on all WinDoze OSs that I know of. And by-the-way, the "Stop-A" equivalent on a serial terminal is the "break" signal...
  • 6. Re: Sunfire V120 will not recognize KB
    593326 Newbie
    What a nightmare for the non Solaris type like me.

Back to work yesterday and spent most of time on this beast.
    Removed video card and KB, connected to LOM - learned about it a bit. Got machine up and running OK.
    Reinstalled video card, did LOM powerup, Output on screen, input from LOM (not KB), weird....
    Realized I had to get to "ok" prompt to do the "setenv input-device keyboard" and "setenv output-device screen". So now have the system booting into OS and KB and screen I/O. LOM still connected and unused for now.

Won't do init 3 however (dtlogin?). No gui screen.
    Setup path to include most things, including openwin. Try to just run /usr/openwin/bin/openwin and getting info that there is no /dev/fb. Also no /dev/fbs.

Googled some more and find have to do fbconfig and a couple other cmds.
    Can't relocate the link right now, but was referred to /usr/lib/fbconfig which should have some commands "SUNW...." which do NOT exist.
    My other 10 year old Solaris 8 works fine and has those files (symlinks to some files in /usr/sbin (which exist BTW).

The video card, I didn't order, but I think it is a ATI and the same one was installed in 2 or 3 other Sunfires but with Solaris 9 and 10; and all works well.

I neglected to install a mouse, but will do that next week - doubt that would cause the missing /dev/fb* and the SUNW.... links.
    I did a pkg info on both machines and have yet to compare them.

Ideas pls?

Thanks,

Jim
  • 7. Re: Sunfire V120 will not recognize KB
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    find have to do fbconfig and a couple other cmds. Yes. The documentatiuon should suggest that as well.
    Can't relocate the link right now, but was referred to /usr/lib/fbconfig which should have some commands "SUNW...." which do NOT exist.
    My other 10 year old Solaris 8 works fine and has those files (symlinks to some files in /usr/sbin (which exist BTW).
    The video card, I didn't order, but I think it is a ATI and the same one was installed in 2 or 3 other Sunfires but with Solaris 9 and 10; and all works well.
    A glance at the card should show a paper sticker with a part number. A google search using the first seven digits should point you toward the actual beast.

I'm going to make a guess from six-year-old or seven-year-old vague memory that you may have a XVR-100 card, part number 375-3126. See ...
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19125-01/xvr100.acc/819-3290-13/819-3290-13.pdf
    The SUNWpfb driver packages for Solaris 8 and 9 were only on a CD that shipped with the card. Solaris 10 driver packages shipped with the Solaris 10 media and ISO's. The drivers would benefit you only to take advantage of graphics features beyond generic signal-to-the-display. After the packages are installed you can use fbconfig and also pfbconfig to manipulate how the card would work.
  • 8. Re: Sunfire V120 will not recognize KB
    593326 Newbie
    Thanks. Removed the card and it is 375-3181, which is, I believe, a XVR-100. It says Sun Microsystems, Inc Compliance Model No. 855.
    year 2002. Looks like a rebranded ATI Radeon.

Unfortunately, we didn't get any drivers. The lady who ordered is out and so I don't have the name or phone of who she got it from.

Google and Oracle/Solaris searches show nothing either. I used to have a Sun ID, but it doesn't seem to work anymore with Oracle - will try to get that working also.

If it's legal and if anyone has the drivers, would you be able to send them - maybe a CD ISO image. I can supply a ftp server site.

Thanks,

Jim
  • 9. Re: Sunfire V120 will not recognize KB
    bobthesungeek76036 Pro
    Not sure about Solaris 9 but with Solaris 10 you should be able to find the drivers on the Solaris distribution:

<pre>
    $ pkginfo | grep SUNWpfb
    system SUNWpfb Sun XVR-100 Graphics System Software/Device Driver
    application SUNWpfbcf Sun XVR-100 Graphics Configuration Software
    application SUNWpfbw Sun XVR-100 Graphics Window System Support
    $
    </pre>
  • 10. Re: Sunfire V120 will not recognize KB
    593326 Newbie
    Thanks, but the drivers are not supplied with Solaris 8 or 9 as I understand - come on a separate CD.
    I posted on Solaris 9 forum becuz there was no Solaris 8 forum. We are dealing with Solaris 8.

Thanks,

Jim

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points