This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2012 5:48 PM by onedbguru RSS

Which User should use to install 11gR2  Clusterware and RAC DB?

954700 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Oracle RAC Guru, the db servers (Linux x86_64 redhat) currently provisioned with 2 users by network admin before installing the 11gR2 clusterware and RAC db software, one is crs user, one is oracle user, but when I checked the home dir provisioned with crs user such as /oracrs/oracle, somehow the oracle user doesn't have permission even to read it, but the crs user own it though (/oracrs/oracle), is that normal? Should I install clustware using crs user, and install RAC DB software using oracle user? But before the installing, should I ask the network admin to provision oracle user to read, write and execute crs home dir /oracrs/oracle?
  • 1. Re: Which User should use to install 11gR2  Clusterware and RAC DB?
    Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) Guru
    Hi,

are you talking about the linux/unix "home" directory for the user or the directory you will be installing the 11gR2 GI to?

If it is the first, don't worry.
    If it is the latter then the directory should have the group oinstall (primary group for both users) and therefore be accessible.

Regards
    Sebastian
  • 2. Re: Which User should use to install 11gR2  Clusterware and RAC DB?
    954700 Newbie
    it is the later, and crs user is not part of oinstall group currently in the server (set up by the net work admin), and crs is part of group dboracrs which is a db group. And since I will install the clusterware (GI) into /oracrs/oracle dir which currently not owned by oinstall but owned by the db user group dboracrs, and my oracle user (oracle user is in oinstall group) doesn't have permission to access crs home dir (/oracrs/oracle) which GI will reside also, then, which way I should go as fowlling?

1) ask network admin to make crs user into oinstall group 1st which I know is a must, then also change the ownership of crs home dir /oracrs/oracle to oinstall group from dboracrs group (is that necessary? I think so, since oracle user is only part of oinstall group not in dboracrs, so oracle user can not access grid home dir which would be trouble, right?) and then use crs user (ororacrs) to install clusterware (GI) into /oracrs/oracle and use oracle user to install RAC DB.

or

2) ask network admin to make crs user into oinstall group, and ask network admin to turn crs home dir /oracrs/oracle (which will be grid home) to be owned by oracle user instead of crs user, so I can use oracle user to install both Grid and RAC db.

I am leaning on to do #1, but if from now on for the people handling crs and db are the same person, so #1 is not necessary, right? #2 would be easier way to go right? Since oracle user installed both, and oracle user will do future maintenance for both crs and db such as stop/start etc, right? And if I will do it the #1 way, and oracle user doesn't have write permission for the crs (grid) home dir /oracrs/oracle (oracle user only has read and execute permission), that would be okay, right?

Thanks much again!
  • 3. Re: Which User should use to install 11gR2  Clusterware and RAC DB?
    954246 Newbie
    Hi,

The grid and oracle user should be part of oinstall,dba group. you can ask to your system admin to make the changes for grid and oracle user to owner the installation directory(grid home/ oracle home).

Also give us the following output.

id -a oracle
    id -a grid
  • 4. Re: Which User should use to install 11gR2  Clusterware and RAC DB?
    954700 Newbie
    You mean that to make both oracle and grid users to own the dir /oracrs/oracle which Grid Home will be installed onto? (currently only the grid user owns it though), and oracle user can r and x only... Is that going to be problem for oracle user who will install oracle RAC into oracle home dir (not into Grid home) after grid user installed Grid into grid home? Or you recommend that make oracle user owns grid home also, and install both grid and rac db using oracle user?

Edited by: 951697 on Aug 10, 2012 1:00 PM
  • 5. Re: Which User should use to install 11gR2  Clusterware and RAC DB?
    onedbguru Pro
    Have the sys/net admin follow the instructions in
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e22489/prelinux.htm#CFIJDFIB

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points