7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2012 8:02 AM by gimbal2

Java6 64 bit vs Java7 64 bit downlonad

Hi !

When I look for downloading a 64 bit JVM, I see some differences for Java6 and Java7...

- Java6 has a Windows 64 bit as well as Windows 64 bit Itanium option
      - Java7 has only one Windows 64 bit.

is it that Java7 dosnt support Itanium Architecture or the single download can be used for all the architectures(Intel,AMD and Itanium) ?

shedding light on the about question makes my build issue resolved which I am struggling from past one week..

Thank you,
      Marco
        • 1. Re: Java6 64 bit vs Java7 64 bit downlonad
          gimbal2
          Not really a striking subject.

Well I don't know and when I don't know something I do some research. Your question made me curious so I went to google and typed in "java 7 itanium". Hardly rocket science, don't you agree?

First hit:

https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/supported_platforms_for_jdk_7

I quote:

Q: What about Linux and Windows on Itanium?
          A: Oracle does not plan to port JDK 7 to Windows/Linux Itanium. This is partially due to lack of OS vendor commitments; Microsoft and Red Hat have both stated that they are dropping support for Itanium. However, an OpenJDK port to these platforms is quite feasible as a community project.
          • 2. Re: Java6 64 bit vs Java7 64 bit downlonad
            I really dont agree. Firstly I already spent good amount of time searching. The info I got is not conclusive to finalize the build.

When you read my question carefully it says Can the same JRE download be used for AMD and Intel also. And the Itanium I am not the currently interested in(Just mentioned it to make it complete).

I have already done some home work by making a AMD build and deploying it only Intel Architecture its working Ok.

But to be saferside and need to ensure it works same even the on other 64 bit platforms: Linux..

Thank you,
            Marco

Edited by: 951557 on Aug 8, 2012 4:26 AM
            • 3. Re: Java6 64 bit vs Java7 64 bit downlonad
              gimbal2
              951557 wrote:
              But to be saferside and need to ensure it works same even the on other 64 bit platforms: Linux..
              ... so you ask in a user-to-user forum, to complete strangers? Yeah that's going to be conclusive :/ Or did you have the idea that you were asking Oracle support here?

Good luck experimenting, that's the only way you're going to know for sure.
              • 4. Re: Java6 64 bit vs Java7 64 bit downlonad
                I hope everyone will be looking into this forums including 'Java Champions'. Hope its noticed by anyone who has come across this problem or has some idea about it. Just ensuring asking Java related questions in the Java Forums but not else where. Thanks for your wishes...

Regards,
                Marco
                • 5. Re: Java6 64 bit vs Java7 64 bit downlonad
                  darrylburke
                  Cross posted
                  http://www.coderanch.com/t/589337/java/java/Java-bit-vs-Java-bit

db
                  • 6. Re: Java6 64 bit vs Java7 64 bit downlonad
                    EJP
                    I hope everyone will be looking into this forums including 'Java Champions'.
                    I'm no 'Java Champion', just a regular forum participant and moderator, but I will look into your problem if and only if you pay me a consulting fee. As you've already been told, this is not an Oracle support channel. You have no entitlement to these ridiculous expectations.
                    • 7. Re: Java6 64 bit vs Java7 64 bit downlonad
                      gimbal2
                      Darryl Burke wrote:
                      Cross posted
                      http://www.coderanch.com/t/589337/java/java/Java-bit-vs-Java-bit

db
                      Lol :) Funny how the first reply is nearly identical to mine. Apparently if you post in the ranch you deserve better treatment.