This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2012 7:20 AM by gimbal2 RSS

Latest JAVA instal does not work

955403 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am running VISTA, and I've dowloaded the most recent version of JAVA. When I try to use it, I get a DOS window that pops up for an instant then disappears - then nothing else happens. Help please.....

Edited by: 952400 on 13-Aug-2012 02:40
  • 1. Re: Latest JAVA instal does not work
    gimbal2 Guru
    Lol, you're trying to run 'java.exe' aren't you? Perhaps you should start at the beginning - with a book!
  • 2. Re: Latest JAVA instal does not work
    EJP Guru
    When I try to use it, I get a DOS window that pops up for an instant then disappears - then nothing else happens
    That's what it's supposed to do. Your expectations are misplaced. What were you expecting? and why?
  • 3. Re: Latest JAVA instal does not work
    955403 Newbie
    How do I open a session in order to write JAVA code? What do I need to download then?
  • 4. Re: Latest JAVA instal does not work
    gimbal2 Guru
    952400 wrote:
    How do I open a session in order to write JAVA code? What do I need to download then?
    A text editor. You did not download Visual Studio or something, you only have the tools to be able to compile and run stuff. Command line tools. Java is freedom and thus requires intelligence and reasoning to be able to use it properly, nobody is going to hold your hand and tell you what to use and how to do things. Its all up to you to discover that through reading, studying and experimentation. If that is not your thing you may want to consider switching to .NET.

There are also Integrated Development Environments (IDE) which are more complete, of which the most popular ones are Netbeans and Eclipse. You'll have to try them out to see which one you like more. But I would start with some basic research so you stop making wrong assumptions.
  • 5. Re: Latest JAVA instal does not work
    955403 Newbie
    Gimbal2 - Thank you for your time and trouble, and I will make one final stab at this: If I had wished to create a Word document, then I would open an MS Word session, type my sentences, and save the document. Likewise, I wish to open a Java session, type my logic, save it, compile it then execute it. It seems to me to be the most basic of requirements – or am I asking for too much?
  • 6. Re: Latest JAVA instal does not work
    EJP Guru
    You're asking for things that don't exist in the Java distribution, and you are just reiterating your erroneous assumptions instead of trying to learn from the very full reply you got from gimbal2.
  • 7. Re: Latest JAVA instal does not work
    955403 Newbie
    ok, thank you.
  • 8. Re: Latest JAVA instal does not work
    gimbal2 Guru
    952400 wrote:
    Gimbal2 - Thank you for your time and trouble, and I will make one final stab at this: If I had wished to create a Word document, then I would open an MS Word session, type my sentences, and save the document. Likewise, I wish to open a Java session, type my logic, save it, compile it then execute it. It seems to me to be the most basic of requirements – or am I asking for too much?
    Its funny how you bring up Microsoft stuff as an example :) Really, Microsoft .NET with Microsoft Visual Studio. I have this 'feeling' that that's where you belong and you will thrive.

But yeah Eclipse or Netbeans when you want to "go Java". Like I already mentioned.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points