10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2012 9:20 AM by greybird RSS

Cleaner apparently doing opposite of intention

Hi all,

I'm currently observing some very strange cleaner behaviour with BDB JE 5.0.55. Basically, my environment size has recently been getting unexpectedly large. When I shut down my DB to run some diagnostics, it shrank from ~80GB to 40GB upon graceful close.

I took a copy to diagnose (I suspected something may have been going on internally), however, when I restarted my server (and reopened the env), I noticed there was a sizeable cleaner backlog.

Upon cleaning, the log steadily got larger (rather than smaller) as the cleaner backlog approaches 0. File deletion backlog is also 0, see below for grepped output:

-----
           cleanerBackLog=695
           totalLogSize=44,222,447,351
           cleanerBackLog=692
           totalLogSize=44,007,839,334
           cleanerBackLog=677
           totalLogSize=44,161,745,419
           cleanerBackLog=683
           totalLogSize=44,489,202,186
           cleanerBackLog=663
           totalLogSize=44,822,143,619
           cleanerBackLog=637
           totalLogSize=44,916,840,541
           cleanerBackLog=604
           totalLogSize=44,548,090,588
           cleanerBackLog=583
           totalLogSize=45,535,576,874
           cleanerBackLog=559
           totalLogSize=46,309,369,095
           cleanerBackLog=544
           totalLogSize=47,198,028,965
           cleanerBackLog=536
           totalLogSize=48,132,504,517
           cleanerBackLog=521
           totalLogSize=48,817,762,947
           cleanerBackLog=508
           totalLogSize=49,725,425,757
           cleanerBackLog=492
           totalLogSize=50,570,879,399
           cleanerBackLog=476
           totalLogSize=51,465,010,051
           cleanerBackLog=466
           totalLogSize=52,347,693,773
           cleanerBackLog=460
           totalLogSize=53,143,565,971
           cleanerBackLog=450
           totalLogSize=54,061,257,446
           cleanerBackLog=440
           totalLogSize=54,973,962,944
           cleanerBackLog=437
           totalLogSize=55,757,981,268
           cleanerBackLog=429
           totalLogSize=56,508,152,158
           cleanerBackLog=425
           totalLogSize=57,289,083,547
           cleanerBackLog=417
           totalLogSize=57,900,740,776
           cleanerBackLog=414
           totalLogSize=58,712,600,029
           cleanerBackLog=411
           totalLogSize=59,522,908,676
           cleanerBackLog=406
           totalLogSize=60,472,507,769
           cleanerBackLog=401
           totalLogSize=61,418,812,558
           cleanerBackLog=402
           totalLogSize=62,334,769,591
           cleanerBackLog=397
           totalLogSize=63,138,168,923
           cleanerBackLog=402
           totalLogSize=64,055,868,441
           cleanerBackLog=398
           totalLogSize=64,982,882,494
           cleanerBackLog=401
           totalLogSize=65,904,303,917
           cleanerBackLog=395
           totalLogSize=66,725,704,868
           cleanerBackLog=392
           totalLogSize=67,603,991,723
           cleanerBackLog=397
           totalLogSize=68,538,767,238
           cleanerBackLog=395
           totalLogSize=69,472,262,950
           cleanerBackLog=479
           totalLogSize=70,383,584,273
           cleanerBackLog=444
           totalLogSize=71,247,189,752
           cleanerBackLog=410
           totalLogSize=72,191,040,670
           cleanerBackLog=372
           totalLogSize=73,101,233,310
           cleanerBackLog=340
           totalLogSize=73,912,683,883
           cleanerBackLog=305
           totalLogSize=74,792,141,198
           cleanerBackLog=270
           totalLogSize=75,750,888,363
           cleanerBackLog=237
           totalLogSize=76,685,553,473
           cleanerBackLog=205
           totalLogSize=77,493,814,220
           cleanerBackLog=172
           totalLogSize=78,358,968,699
           cleanerBackLog=142
           totalLogSize=79,191,961,498
           cleanerBackLog=109
           totalLogSize=80,082,532,825
           cleanerBackLog=82
           totalLogSize=80,954,944,721
           cleanerBackLog=61
           totalLogSize=81,895,138,184
           cleanerBackLog=43
           totalLogSize=82,921,752,555
           cleanerBackLog=28
           totalLogSize=83,923,249,685
           cleanerBackLog=17
           totalLogSize=84,879,197,438
           cleanerBackLog=5
           totalLogSize=85,871,665,824
           cleanerBackLog=0
           totalLogSize=86,933,060,983
           cleanerBackLog=0
           totalLogSize=87,074,231,796
           cleanerBackLog=0
           totalLogSize=87,074,231,796
           cleanerBackLog=0
      -----

I would say that they're independent events (ie: something else is causing the log to grow quickly), however, if I close the DB, it instantly shrinks back down to ~42GB again, then slowly grows as I reopen it and the cleaner backlog approaches 0.

I suspect there may be something internally wrong with my database but am in which directly do head diagnosis-wise to prove/disprove this.

Any thoughts/guidance welcome -

Cheers,

fb.
        • 1. Re: Cleaner apparently doing opposite of intention
          Just adding to this, I noticed these are cropping up:
          -----
          com.sleepycat.je.SecondaryIntegrityException: (JE 5.0.55) Secondary refers to a missing key in the primary database
          at com.sleepycat.je.Database.secondaryRefersToMissingPrimaryKey(Database.java:2164) ~[xxxx-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:na]
          at com.sleepycat.je.Cursor.readPrimaryAfterGet(Cursor.java:3726) ~[xxxx-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:na]
          at com.sleepycat.je.SecondaryCursor.readPrimaryAfterGet(SecondaryCursor.java:1470) ~[xxxx-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:na]
          at com.sleepycat.je.SecondaryCursor.getCurrentInternal(SecondaryCursor.java:1343) ~[xxxx-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:na]
          at com.sleepycat.je.SecondaryCursor.getCurrent(SecondaryCursor.java:314) ~[xxxx-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:na]
          at com.sleepycat.je.SecondaryCursor.getCurrent(SecondaryCursor.java:259) ~[xxxx-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:na]
          -----

Slightly concerning considering I have transactions on (so this theoretically shouldn't happen) - I'm guessing my DB has been left in some sort of inconsistent state. Running com.sleepycat.je.util.DbVerifyLog doesn't output anything though.

Edited by: fb on Aug 13, 2012 1:34 AM
          • 2. Re: Cleaner apparently doing opposite of intention
            greybird
            fb,

It doesn't make sense that Environment.close would cause disk space reclamation, if you are doing regular checkpoints. And if the file deletion backlog is zero, then I assume you are doing regular checkpoints.

So I don't know what's going on. The logging of cleaner information added in JE 5.0.58 may give us more information.

--mark                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
            • 3. Re: Cleaner apparently doing opposite of intention
              Actually, fileDeletionBacklog isn't incremented until the end of the checkpoint, inside FileSelector.updateFilesAtCheckpointEnd(), which is called immediately before Cleaner.deleteSafeToDeleteFiles(). So it is always zero unless you are basically in the process of doing the actual deletions. (I both see that in the code and I've observed it in practice.) So not running the checkpointer thread at all would have the symptoms described.
              • 4. Re: Cleaner apparently doing opposite of intention
                greybird
                Actually, fileDeletionBacklog isn't incremented until the end of the checkpoint
                You're right, thank you for correcting me on this!
                --mark                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
                • 5. Re: Cleaner apparently doing opposite of intention
                  greybird
                  fb,

This doesn't seem related to the cleaner problem to me.

Are you certain that you're calling DatabaseConfig.setTransactional(true) for the database, and that no data was written to the database in the past when DatabaseConfig.setTransactional(true) was not called?

And, just to confirm, you are not using a custom key comparator of any kind, and no data was written to the database in the past using a custom key comparator, correct?

If you're certain of both of these things, the only explanation I know of is that an unknown problem occurred earlier and the residual side effect is this corruption (which is what you're saying also). In this case, there really should have been an earlier exception. Can you find any earlier exceptions in your logs or the je.info logs?

--mark                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
                  • 6. Re: Cleaner apparently doing opposite of intention
                    The database has definitely only ever operated with transactions on.

Unfortunately, I don't have logs going back far enough to be useful to discover a potential past exception.

I was able to reproduce the above reliably on the given database.

I am using a custom key comparator (and serializer), however I believe it to be stable (though have been burned here before).

I have since exported/rebuilt the database to/from a serialized form - Interestingly, the recreated version with the same data came out at approximately 60% of its previous size.

The database is very volatile and is entirely rewritten at least every 24 hours - I'm going to keep an eye on it and see if the size remains relatively stable.
                    • 7. Re: Cleaner apparently doing opposite of intention
                      Just a follow up to this -

I ended up having to abandon the aforementioned problematic DB (some 4 weeks ago).

Interestingly, yesterday, I encountered exactly the same problem with an entirely fresh DB.

It appears it's possible to get a transactional BDB DB into an inconsistent state by shutting-down non-gracefully under heavy write load. Once in this state, it never recovers (despite RecoveryManager doing it's thing on restart).

I've only seen this occur on DBs with secondary indexes, after which you regularly get:
                      -----
                      com.sleepycat.je.SecondaryIntegrityException: (JE 5.0.55) Secondary refers to a missing key in the primary database
                      -----

I haven't tried to replicate in a completely isolated way, but it does make for some concerning behaviour.
                      • 8. Re: Cleaner apparently doing opposite of intention
                        Further to this - this problem seems to occur after recovery runs, ie:
                        -----
                             at java.util.zip.Adler32.updateBytes(Native Method)
                             at java.util.zip.Adler32.update(Adler32.java:49)
                             at com.sleepycat.je.log.ChecksumValidator.update(ChecksumValidator.java:58)
                             at com.sleepycat.je.log.ChecksumValidator.update(ChecksumValidator.java:54)
                             at com.sleepycat.je.log.FileReader.startChecksum(FileReader.java:666)
                             at com.sleepycat.je.log.FileReader.readNextEntryAllowExceptions(FileReader.java:302)
                             at com.sleepycat.je.log.FileReader.readNextEntry(FileReader.java:229)
                             at com.sleepycat.je.recovery.RecoveryManager.redoLNs(RecoveryManager.java:1284)
                             at com.sleepycat.je.recovery.RecoveryManager.buildTree(RecoveryManager.java:602)
                             at com.sleepycat.je.recovery.RecoveryManager.recover(RecoveryManager.java:198)
                             at com.sleepycat.je.dbi.EnvironmentImpl.finishInit(EnvironmentImpl.java:610)
                             - locked <0x000000022fb3e8f8> (a com.sleepycat.je.dbi.EnvironmentImpl)
                             at com.sleepycat.je.dbi.DbEnvPool.getEnvironment(DbEnvPool.java:210)
                             at com.sleepycat.je.Environment.makeEnvironmentImpl(Environment.java:246)
                             at com.sleepycat.je.Environment.<init>(Environment.java:227)
                             at com.sleepycat.je.Environment.<init>(Environment.java:170)
                        -----

It seems to be very easy to close the DB non-gracefully, which in turn causes very long recovery times - up to 10 minutes for me on an SSD, which is undesirable on a live system.

I've put a fair amount of effort to ensure that both the DBs and env gets close() called appropriately (with cursors and txns completed), but it's possible I'm missing something.

Is there anything else particular that needs to be done to ensure a clean close?
                        • 9. Re: Cleaner apparently doing opposite of intention
                          greybird
                          I haven't tried to replicate in a completely isolated way
                          Since we haven't seen this problem elsewhere, the fastest way to resolve it is for you to reproduce it in an isolated test, and we'll use that test to analyze the problem.

--mark                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
                          • 10. Re: Cleaner apparently doing opposite of intention
                            greybird
                            It seems to be very easy to close the DB non-gracefully, which in turn causes very long recovery times - up to 10 minutes for me on an SSD, which is undesirable on a live system.
                            Long recovery times are due to long checkpoint intervals. Decreasing the checkpoint interval is the way to address this -- see EnvironmentConfig.CHECKPOINTER_BYTES_INTERVAL. EnvironmentStats.getNCheckpoints() gives an indication they are happening. Doing a "DbPrintLog -S" will show the most recent checkpoint intervals at the end of the report.

--mark