This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2012 6:16 PM by handat RSS

is there a nice downloadable VirtualBox appliance for Glassfish?

955476 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I was over at the VirtualBox area and noticed that the development images on offer were tragically out of date.

I would like to learn Java EE but I need to keep the dev environment insulated inside a VM. I tried installing all this stuff on Ubuntu but no dice. So then I though surely someone has a nice dev image ready to go which includes glassfish. Why re-build the wheel right???

Ideally, it would be less than 12 months old, but I'm not too fussy.

Otherwise I have to build my own (shock, horror).
  • 1. Re: is there a nice downloadable VirtualBox appliance for Glassfish?
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    Post has now been moved from the JSF forum (why it was there is impossible to tell).
  • 2. Re: is there a nice downloadable VirtualBox appliance for Glassfish?
    handat Expert
    But it should really be moved to Java System Application Server Standard and Enterprise Edition
    Glassfish in most cases and also in this case refers to Glassfish application server which is synonymous with Java System Application Server Standard and Enterprise Edition. GlassFish Enterprise Manager is something completely different. Blame the marketing people for causing such confusions.

To the OP:

It used to exist but not anymore. You could use the Enterprise Java Development VM and install Glassfish. It already has everything else you need for development, and you can optionally uninstall WebLogic or keep it and test on both.
  • 3. Re: is there a nice downloadable VirtualBox appliance for Glassfish?
    955476 Newbie
    handat wrote:
    But it should really be moved to Java System Application Server Standard and Enterprise Edition
    Glassfish in most cases and also in this case refers to Glassfish application server which is synonymous with Java System Application Server Standard and Enterprise Edition. GlassFish Enterprise Manager is something completely different. Blame the marketing people for causing such confusions.

To the OP:

It used to exist but not anymore. You could use the Enterprise Java Development VM and install Glassfish. It already has everything else you need for development, and you can optionally uninstall WebLogic or keep it and test on both.
    "Blame the marketing people for causing such "

Y're not wrong! In terms of mental energy spent learning this stuff (Java EE), I spend way too much mental energy deciphering marketing terminology. There should just be a "glassfish" forum and I would have posted it there. Blooodeeey Hell...

One thing I find with oracle is that they nomenclature gets in the way of their products instead of facilitating their understanding.

"It used to exist but not anymore. You could use the Enterprise Java Development VM and install Glassfish. It already has everything else you need for development, and you can optionally uninstall WebLogic or keep it and test on both."

Thanks handat, I may have to go down that path. I'm not training to be a systems administrator, I am trying to learn Java EE. It's proving rather difficult to get out of the starting blocks. While I was waiting for the answer to this thread, I downloaded and installed the latest Oracle Linux. I figured that would be the "native" platform for GlassFish (???). Anyways, I selected the "basic" install which appears to be headless. Okay fine, but I need a way to get samba to work so I can easily edit directly to it's FS. Still yet to install GlassFish. It should be fine I hope. Seems to be distributed as a .sh file. Can't get it using wget (due to OTN login nonsense) and can't SMB to the local FS :/ Never used RedHat so figuring out yum...

I'll let you know when I finally get to write some Java. It shouldn't be this hard. I should be able to download a VM along with a readme file containing all the passwords to get going (Samba pre-configured et al). I JUST WANNA LEARN JAVA EE! That is all. Not waste days on sys admin rubbish.
  • 4. Re: is there a nice downloadable VirtualBox appliance for Glassfish?
    955476 Newbie
    I'm probably just gonna learn with Java EE 5 for the time being.

That's what is available for Debian and I have already built a nice dev (PHP et al) image for debian with VirtualBox.

http://packages.debian.org/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=glassfish

It's a shame Oracle licensing doesn't allow for their latest technology to be packaged with distributions like Debian.
  • 5. Re: is there a nice downloadable VirtualBox appliance for Glassfish?
    955476 Newbie
    Okay never mind the outdated debian version... that is WAAAAAY old...

I found this half-baked tutorial at
    https://blogs.oracle.com/foo/entry/how_to_run_glassfish_v3
    but it was enough to get me up and running once I read the comments. I also substituted the download link for the latest stable glassfish.

So basically what I have now is a Debian (squeeze) image (VirtualBox) with debian default java installed along with the latest stable glassfish.

I have not compiled anything yet. We'll see how my first JSP goes. Now I'm off to find where to put it... (and add that as a samba share)...
  • 6. Re: is there a nice downloadable VirtualBox appliance for Glassfish?
    handat Expert
    Just a further comment, if you just want to learn Java EE, it does not have to be GlassFish. WebLogic is also a JavaEE container and so is JBoss and many other products. If you just want to learn the jsp/servlet side of things without worrying about EJBs, then tomcat is very lightweight way to go. By the way, GlassFish Web Profile (marketing people came up with this again) is essentially JavaEE without EJB container similar to tomcat.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points