4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2012 1:08 AM by Dmitry Berezkin RSS

Are There Guidelines For OUD Sizing And Hardware Requirements?

Dmitry Berezkin
      What sizing and hardware requirements are there to run the OUD Server?
        • 1. Re: Are There Guidelines For OUD Sizing And Hardware Requirements?
          Sylvain Duloutre-Oracle
          Hi,

There is no single guideline for sizing an Oracle Unified Directory deployment.Many factors have an influence on the sizing specifics of a deployment.

The following characteristics are key for sizing:
          - number of entries stored in the directory, average size of an entry, number of attributes per entries, numberof custom database indexes to evaluate both disk space and RAM
          - expected #of search/writes per seconds, max CPU usage to size CPU
          - backup policy, log policy, replication log persistence to size additional storage requirements
          - QOS, throughput, H/A requirements to size the #of systems in the topology
          - Expected Data and Perf growth to estimate a scaling factor.

Feel free to post the main characteristics of your deployment so I can provide with sizing recommandations.

HTH

Sylvain

Edited by: Sylvain Duloutre on Aug 14, 2012 4:21 PM
          • 2. Re: Are There Guidelines For OUD Sizing And Hardware Requirements?
            Dmitry Berezkin
            Ok, here's characteristics of my deployment:
            - about 3000 entries with default number of attributes per entries
            - don't know about # of search/writes per seconds, but i think, that ldap will be use to authorize in 5-6 different systems (like email, call manager and content management system)
            - backup will be create by snapshots in virtual infrastructure of vmware, log policy will be default
            - i think, that will be just one ldap server in topology, but it will have weblogic with ODSM and DIP
            - DIP will syncronyze user entries with AD

What sizing rules do you use to calculate sizing recommendations for CPU, RAM and HDD?
            • 3. Re: Are There Guidelines For OUD Sizing And Hardware Requirements?
              Sylvain Duloutre-Oracle
              Hi,

Thanks for the details.

Your directory deployment is very small, so any recent system would fit, with say 8G RAM and 4 cores at 2.2GHz

As an example, the entry level Sun Server X3-2 would fit (see https://shop.oracle.com/pls/ostore/f?p=dstore:5:2450377083264353::NO::P5_PROD_HIER_ID,P5_LPI:114383082192111978030320,114383083255761978019036: for more info

Edited by: Sylvain Duloutre on Aug 16, 2012 3:03 PM