3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2012 8:30 AM by rukbat RSS

Old E250 - Monitor not working - lights just flashing

paulfoel
      Cant actually see this because its remote from me - this is what the people on site are reporting.

What I think has happened is that the server has been powered on and THEN the monitor has been connected.

I seem to vaguely remember with these that the monitor has be connected before powering on? Unfortunately, its not a simple case of powering off/on because of the app the servers are running (needs to be done properly)
        • 1. Re: Old E250 - Monitor not working - lights just flashing
          rukbat
          What I think has happened is that the server has been powered on and THEN the monitor has been connected.
          I seem to vaguely remember with these that the monitor has be connected before powering on?
          While I also have a vague recollection on that, you and I may be hoping for too much plug-and-pray to exist for that old box.

With that vintage of hardware, the monitor is likely a very old Sun CRT that has the traditional DB13w3 connector. I think the majority of the E250's would have had taken advantage of the UPA slots on the systemboard and no UPA board had DB15 ports. What they have reported to you is possibly just a monitor of such an age that has simply failed.

If the site had put a PCI graphics card (such as a PGX 32) for simple console access, then it could still be a simple monitor failure but they could at least just swap the screen for another CRT. Remind them to NOT power the substitute monitor up until after it's connected.

Troubleshooting should be done with CRT screens. Modern flat panel screens won't likely be able to display Sun's default output of 1152x900 @ 66Hz vertical refresh.

When you're next talking to them, have them look at the rear of the E250 and have them tell you where the monitor cable is connected. The PCI slots are the bottom four positions and the two UPA slots are up almost parallel with the onboard SCSI port.

See this drawing of the systemboard at a non-Oracle mirror of the old Sun System Handbook:
          http://www.filibeto.org/sun/lib/hardware/sh/2.1.3/infoserver.central/data/syshbk/Devices/System_Board/SYSBD_E250.html

---
          Someone needs to log into the box to troubleshoot further.
          They (or you with remote access) needs to run prtconf -F to get more information on that frame buffer. Glance at the man page for prtconf.
          • 2. Re: Old E250 - Monitor not working - lights just flashing
            paulfoel
            Thanks. Yes, it is an old Sun CRT monitor.

The thing is though they are reporting the same thing on two servers. However, despite requests, I'm waiting for them to test said monitors on different machine. Be a co-incidence if two monitors have popped.
            • 3. Re: Old E250 - Monitor not working - lights just flashing
              rukbat
              Be a co-incidence if two monitors have popped.
              Agreed.

I've had additional thoughts since you first posted this to the forum.

If the system(s) were configured to use a monitor for console, then does it also follow that they were using a keyboard/mouse for input?

Then ...
              You stated the monitor was disconnected at power-up.
              Was the keyboard/mouse kit also disconnected?
              If so, then there is likely nothing wrong with the monitor. Those SPARC systems will spontaneously fall back to TTYa for the console if they don't see their usual keyboard at POST.

So ...
              If all those thoughts are heading in the right direction, the site will need to power down, re-connect everything back to the way it was, then power up again to get back to familiar functionality of keyboard/mouse/monitor.