6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2012 1:32 PM by 945963 RSS

How to use comma separated values as separate dimensions

Hello Everyone,

We use text files as the data source for the baseline update in Endeca. We are adding 4-5 properties in the text file. Each property has comma separated values e.g. category property name has category1, category2, category3......category10 values. I have defined a dimension in my endeca workbench mapping the category property from text file to endeca dimension in the Workbench. But I want each of the categories to be treated as separate dimension values e.g. *"category1"*, *"category2"* ....*"category10"* for the category dimension and not just "*category1,category2, ...category10"* as one dimension value. Does anyone has any idea how to do it?

Edited by: user8540737 on Jun 26, 2012 1:49 PM
        • 1. Re: How to use comma separated values as separate dimensions
          user5858891
          Hi There,

even i am newbee in this world of experts but i think you shuold rethink your dimension for a better user experience.
          Dimension is a characterstic which sets a record apart from other's of the same family(e.g. wine Type).

Having dimension which consist of multiple values is definately going to confuse end user.

cheers
          • 2. Re: How to use comma separated values as separate dimensions
            Mandar Shastrakar
            Hi ,

Please go through the wine app for more details on how to create dimension and properties and relate it to your scenario.

HTH
            Mandar
            • 3. Re: How to use comma separated values as separate dimensions
              bplamondon
              @user5858891

Dimensions are not required to have mutually exclusive values. Wine Type is a good example of a dimension that makes sense where the values will never overlap. However often there are reasons for dimensions that should be have multiple possibly overlapping values - such as Flavor as an example. A given wine might have flavors of honey, fruit, etc They may have many valid dimension values for a given dimension.

Dimension values are meant to give a user the ability to filter down to what they are looking for - the user does not care about the exclusivity of a dimension value. Hope that helps clarify it.

As for the original poster - I assume this has something specifically to do with the Product Catalog Integration DT so I am unable to assist there at this time.
              • 4. Re: How to use comma separated values as separate dimensions
                Use a manipulator after your input adapter. You can write expression (XML) to manipulate and split your dimension values from txt file and can map to single dimension.
                • 5. Re: How to use comma separated values as separate dimensions
                  Snolan-Oracle
                  Thanks for your question.

Your use case of reading in a packed list of values and wanting those values to be separated and mapped into a single Dimension is very common.

In your Endeca Developer Studio pipeline you can easily add a new Record Manipulator that performs a SPLIT function to accomplish what you need.

You can read more about how to create a Record Manipulator in the [Developer Studio Help Guide|http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E28912_01/DeveloperStudio.612/pdf/DevStudioHelp.pdf] . You can also learn more about the syntax for creating a SPLIT function in the [Data Foundry Expression Guide|http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E28912_01/DeveloperStudio.612/pdf/DataFoundryExpRef.pdf] .

For convenience, an example syntax...

<EXPRESSION TYPE="VOID" NAME="SPLIT">
                  <EXPRNODE NAME="OLD_NAME" VALUE="Category_PackedList"/>
                  <EXPRNODE NAME="NEW_NAME" VALUE="Category"/>
                  <EXPRNODE NAME="SPLIT" VALUE=","/>
                  <EXPRNODE NAME="ENUMERATE" VALUE="FALSE"/>
                  </EXPRESSION>
                  • 6. Re: How to use comma separated values as separate dimensions
                    using the Split dimension manipulator worked. Here are the steps in order to use the functionality:
                    1. Create a new Dimension Manipulator in the Endeca workbench
                    2. Once the manipulator name has been set, click OK.
                    3. Double click on the newly created manipulator and add this code:

<EXPRESSION TYPE="VOID" NAME="SPLIT">
                    <EXPRNODE NAME="OLD_NAME" VALUE="The_Field_Name_from_data_file"/>
                    <EXPRNODE NAME="NEW_NAME" VALUE="The_new_name"/>
                    <EXPRNODE NAME="SPLIT" VALUE=","/>
                    <EXPRNODE NAME="ENUMERATE" VALUE="FALSE"/>
                    </EXPRESSION>