4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2012 5:11 PM by Avi Miller-Oracle RSS

Basic installation: X11 for Oracle Linux 6.3

Moh
      Hi All,

I created Oracle VM and installed Linux 6.3 as operation system. First try with X Windows and X11 shows, that I can not start X-Appse.g. xclock --> command not found!
      How can I correct install oderwise configure X11 for Oracle Linux 6.3

Regards,
      Moh
        • 1. Re: Basic installation: X11 for Oracle Linux 6.3
          Dude!
          Are you using Oracle VM or Oracle Virtualbox? Those are different products, Oracle VM is a type 1 hypervisor, based on XEN, that installs on a bare metal machine. Virtualbox is an application that provides a type 2 hypervisor using VT/x technology. I see from you other post that you seem to be using Virtualbox. You might want to clear this first.
          • 2. Re: Basic installation: X11 for Oracle Linux 6.3
            Moh
            Hi,
            Thanks for your reply. I use Oracle VM VirtualBox and insatlled Oracle Linux.

Regards,
            Moh
            • 3. Re: Basic installation: X11 for Oracle Linux 6.3
              Dude!
              I guess Oracle VM VirtualBox and Oracle VM can be misleading. Oracle should better call it Oracle Virtualbox, without VM in the name. Fyi: http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/virtualization/oraclevm/index.html

Anyway, a default installation of Oracle Linux or RHEL 6 does not install the X Window system and a graphical user desktop. If you want to run X11 applications you have 2 options:

- Use remote access from a system that has X Window server installed
              - Install X Window and a window manager on your virtual machine.

If this is a new installation and you use it locally then I suggest to re-install the system and customize the package selection. You should see a prompt "customize now" during the installation where you can select the Desktop packages.
              • 4. Re: Basic installation: X11 for Oracle Linux 6.3
                Avi Miller-Oracle
                Dude wrote:
                I guess Oracle VM VirtualBox and Oracle VM can be misleading.
                The product names actually are:

Oracle VM for x86 (Xen-based TYPE 1 hypervisor)
                Oracle VM for SPARC (previously LDoms)
                Oracle VM VirtualBox (TYPE 2 host based hypervisor)

"Oracle VM" denotes the product family, not a specific product.