This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2012 7:21 PM by 956274 RSS

Error Using Instant Client to Connect MS Access to Oracle

887765 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am getting an error "The setup routines for the Oracle in instantclient_11_2 ODBC driver could not be loaded due to system error code 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect"

All, I am running Windows 7 64BIT and am trying to connect MS Access to Oracle using an ODBC connection. I downloaded the instant client and ODBC client and unzipped them into a folder called C:\\oracle. This created a folder called instantclient_11_2

I ran the odbc_install.exe file and got no errors.

I set PATH=C:\\Oracle per the Read Me

I ran %systemdrive%\Windows\SysWoW64\Odbcad32.exe-> System DSN-> Instantclient_11_2 before getting the error.

I am not that technical so any advice you can provide would be appreciated.
  • 1. Re: Error Using Instant Client to Connect MS Access to Oracle
    PavanG Pro
    Please refer to the below MOS doc for resolving this issue.

Configuring Oracle ODBC Driver Fails With : "System Error Code 14001: The Application has Failed to Start Because its Side-by-side Configuration is Incorrect." (Doc ID 1318061.1)
  • 2. Re: Error Using Instant Client to Connect MS Access to Oracle
    sb92075 Guru
    884762 wrote:
    I am getting an error "The setup routines for the Oracle in instantclient_11_2 ODBC driver could not be loaded due to system error code 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect"

All, I am running Windows 7 64BIT and am trying to connect MS Access to Oracle using an ODBC connection.
    On which system does MS Access reside; hostname, OS name & version?
    On which system does Oracle RDBMS server reside; hostname, OS name & version & which Oracle version to 4 decimal places?
  • 3. Re: Error Using Instant Client to Connect MS Access to Oracle
    mseberg Guru
    First "System Error Codes" are Microsoft error codes.

I run Windows 7 64 bit OS. All my problems like this went after when I install the Oracle 11 *32bit* client.

I will post the exact file as an edit here.

Best Regards

mseberg

I installed win32_11gR2_client.zip

You can find it here :

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/112010-win32soft-098987.html

You can play around with the instant client if you want but this will solve your issue.

Also use the 32 bit odbc

You can manage a 32 bit ODBC driver on a 64 bit Windows using the 32 bit Data Sources admin tool located here:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

( start using Run )

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/64-bit-vs-32-bit-odbc-drivers-confusion/8feaa560-0e04-49d5-b654-89ad3cb996ad

Edited by: mseberg on Sep 12, 2011 6:55 PM
  • 4. Re: Error Using Instant Client to Connect MS Access to Oracle
    922469 Newbie
    This is late coming for you but, it's exactly what I ran into.

My solution ended up being: Install the Microsoft 2005 c++ redistributable

x86:
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3387
    x64:
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=21254

-not sure which one did it for me but you can install both on a windows 7 x64 machine

Edited by: user13414376 on Mar 7, 2012 2:12 PM
  • 5. Re: Error Using Instant Client to Connect MS Access to Oracle
    956274 Newbie
    I have the same error too. This is absolutely asinine. I've quintuple-checked every path, I've installed the 2005 C++ redistributable for 64 bit and 32 bit, I've got the 2008 version of same, I've spent about a week trying to install a stupid Oracle client on a bare 2008 server, no luck. Beyond frustrating.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points