8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2012 9:10 AM by user12144220 RSS

What is my current license usage of oracle database

user12144220
      Hello everyone,

Could you, please, give me some advice to know what is my license for oracle database and what is the current usage? In my case, I purchased only one CPU license while I have 4 quad CPUs(16 cores). But my oracle database seems like not using full resource that we expected.

Thank you.
        • 1. Re: What is my current license usage of oracle database
          kuljeet singh -
          what is the current usage?
          if you're looking for feature usage.
          http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/statviews_3114.htm
          • 2. Re: What is my current license usage of oracle database
            orafad
            user12144220  wrote:
            Hello everyone,

what is my license for oracle database
            License contract / purchase order gone missing?

In my case, I purchased only one CPU license while I have 4 quad CPUs(16 cores).
            Well.... Do you have hard partitioning system or is the plan to move, before production, to a single or maybe dual core machine?

Is the license for SE1, SE or EE?

Remember, Oracle licenses its Database product by 'processor' not CPU, etc.

Btw, how come you posted this in the security product forum? Are you actually looking at a specific security option?

Edited by: orafad on Aug 22, 2012 9:22 AM
            • 3. Re: What is my current license usage of oracle database
              user12144220
              I'm sorry, I didn't know what is the thread for a question related with licensing.

My license is for Enterprise edition.

I just want to know the current processor usage of oracle database like:

NO Processor Status Have license
              1 Processor 1 Using Yes
              2 Processor 2 Not Using No
              3 Processor 3 Not Using No
              4 Processor 4 Not Using No

Thank you.
              • 4. Re: What is my current license usage of oracle database
                JustinCave
                The database software has no idea whether or how you have licensed it. If you installed the enterprise edition of the database on a server with 16 cores, the database will happily use all 16 cores (assuming there is sufficient workload to spread across 16 cores and assuming you haven't done something at the operating system level to restrict the database to some subset of those 16 cores). Since the database software is completely ignorant of the license, you can't generate a report like the one you're asking for out of the database.

If you only licensed 1 processor, and assuming you are not using one of the Oracle-approved hard partitioning methods at the operating system level, you are out of compliance with the terms of your license. If you're audited by Oracle, they'll look at the licenses you have, the licenses you need (cores * architecture-specific scaling factor if you are using processor-based licensing), and they'll charge you a pretty penny to get back into compliance. You're generally much better off purchasing the additional licenses you need now rather than waiting until you get audited-- Oracle has every incentive to give you a discount when they're trying to close a sale, they have every incentive not to give you a discount if they catch you during an audit. How many additional licenses you need will depend on the type of hardware you have and the scaling factor associated with that hardware. I don't believe the scaling factor goes below 0.25 so you would realistically need at least 3 more processor licenses for the box you describe and potentially more.

Justin
                • 5. Re: What is my current license usage of oracle database
                  jgarry
                  What resource usage do you expect? If your database is bored, only a few cores will be used as people do things.
                  • 6. Re: What is my current license usage of oracle database
                    user12144220
                    Sometimes, we encounter with performance problem while we have free resource for oracle database. (processors) We need to check if there is license restriction and if it is we are planning to purchase. So we want to know which processor I can use and which processor I can't use.
                    • 7. Re: What is my current license usage of oracle database
                      sb92075
                      user12144220  wrote:
                      Sometimes, we encounter with performance problem while we have free resource for oracle database. (processors) We need to check if there is license restriction and if it is we are planning to purchase. So we want to know which processor I can use and which processor I can't use.
                      all of them